Newbie!

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello from the dark side of Mountain biking. Been looking at getting into Road cycling and touring after lusting over my uncles Specialized Tarmac Comp which looked lovely. And after having a few cheery chats with cyclist while out on the brum brum 2 wheeker its something id like a go of.

Now budget wise not huge probably £300 max. And i have been looking the Decathlon Triban 3 and Viking San Remo to try and see if im into it.

Also as a beginner and a hairy gett can i buy a full lycra suit to cover my hair legs up.

Girlfriend has also said she will smash the bike up if i get a road bike :-( although she doesnt mind mtb's.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For your budget I'd say second hand will be best. £300 new bikes wont be as good.
    Failing that - get slick tyres for your MTB ?
    And I'd ditch the girlfriend. Smashing any bike up isnt the act of a rational person.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Mountain bike is a full bouncer so not really suited to road riding.
    Girlfriend is really antk road bikes saying they get in the way etc. To me as a motorcyclist i just give them plenty of room and then bugger off when its clear.

What second hand bikes should i be looling for at that budget?
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Sounds like the Girlfriend shouldn't be out on the roads. Her attitude to other road users sounds disgusting.

That apart maybe you can educate her in that she shares the road and doesn't own it :D

Second hand at £300 should get you something like a Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez, Cube Peloton with Shimano Sora or possibly Tiagra gearing.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And entry level giants are pretty good value for money