Bag, box or rack for one road bike

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Plan to ride every day on my family holiday in France. I have a car with a tow bar but not rack yet so was wondering whether it was worth getting a small towbar mounted rack for a single bike (who sells them?) or to get a decent bag to carry the bike in the boot - assuming there is enough space....

thanks

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I'm a big fan of tow bar mounted carriers, having used mine (a Strada DL) on month-long camping jaunts around France. Depending on your requirements (ease of mounting the carrier, ease of access to the boot while carrier fitted, ease of mounting bikes on the carrier, numbers of bikes to be carried, weight and storability of rack, functionality of lights, budget, etc), there are tons of different options available. A good place to start would be this website:-
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/ ... unting.php

However, if your bike will fit it in the boot, that's obviously your cheapest option, particularly if you just wrap it in a sheet or a few bin liners and thus don't have to spend anything whatsoever. When I had a bigger car and was carrying less stuff that's what I used to do.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    +1 for towbar racks. I tried a Saris Bones but it was a real hassle so I switched to a Thule. It takes 2 bikes and is brilliant. It can tilt to allow access to the boot and it is relatively quick to fit the bikes in. It is also lockable to the towbar and the outermost bike clamp locks too. I think its a Euroway G2 - can't quite remember. The whole thing also fits in the boot.