Advice needed.... times for 20 miles? getting quicker?

ASCotterill
ASCotterill Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Amateur race
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I've been cycling for just over 2 years now and over those 2 years i've progressed through various road bikes to a fairly good standard one now, for an intermediate anyway. As like any sport I play I like to get competitive with myself and try and better myself constantly.

I was just wondering what sort of speeds or averages is classed as a good pace over 20 miles? (fairly flat with a few medium inclines)

I'm doing regular 20 milers in just under the hour (58mins) is this good or do I need to step it up a gear?

I'm riding a 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 with a full 105 groupset, so any advice on my bike or in general on ways I can improve then it would be much appreciated as I have the cycling bug big time!

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Thats fine - nothing wrong with that. You will ride quicker and easier with a group of riders - if that is what you want to do.

There will always be someone quicker than you and there will always be someone slower than you.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    forgot to say - it obviously depends upon how hard you are pushing to get that - is it at a pace that you feel you can keep up all day or are you glad that you stop at the end.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you are becoming serious about your ability on a bike then give thought about finding a suitable local club.
    Hopefully one that has members who compete in TTs or road races.
    You'll be able to join in on some faster paced group rides - leading to chain gang work... see which part of competition you like best... against the clock or against fellow riders
    You probably have the basics sorted by now, just need fitness tweaks... the CAAD10 is eminently suitable for amateur road racing.
    Riding solo, you may have reached a plateau which will be difficult to break through.
  • Thank you for the advice, I'm going to start looking at local clubs around the area today, there is actually a TT race every Wednesday night not fair from where I live, I like the sound of going against the clock so I might give that a try!

Yeah riding solo is ok but I need that challenge to push me that little bit further now, I feel like I'm plateauing now!
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    You sound a touch quicker than me, I'm normally just under 20 mph on my weekday solo rides. I gave a cat4 race a go and could stay with the pack no problem, and could step it up during the sprint to the line too.

It felt great and was certainly a challenge so I'd say give that a go.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Hard to say. As ever, it's the accelerations and surges that knacker you in a road race, rarely the general pace in the pack. Averages never tell the story.

But it sounds like you would be ok and wouldn't humiliate yourself!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I wouldn't say anyone in a 4th cat race should ever be 'humiliated' I like the guys that kept dropped and carry on riding till the end even when they get lapped 5 times...fair play!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yes, you like it, they may not like it so much. :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com