Good entry level bike - 2012 Specialized Allez?

RT8
RT8 Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hey all, I'm pretty new to cycling, only been doing it regularly for about 14 months. Still on my battered Raleigh mountain bike I've had since I was 14 (Now 19) Though as I am getting heavily into cycling and it has become quite a solid and large part of my lifestyle, it's now time for a long overdue upgrade! And while I still consider myself a novice and nothing on a more 'professional' road cyclist - Dragging something uphill that weighs quarter my weight is just no fun my longer day's! (30 miles est).

Anyway, I've browsed many Bicycles, and saved up a fair about so I am in the £700 ish ballpark. Can't afford much more being a student..

I like the sounds of the specialized Allez, and from a friends bike I think the Shimano Sora gearset is more than adequate for the moment.
I am wondering if any fellow riders have experience with this bike? And if in their opinion it's a good choice as a entry level road bike? And if so, would it be worth upgrading it to Shimano 105's at a later date?

Other makes an models suggested will be taken into careful consideration.

Many thanks,

R :)

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-All ... _48291.htm
Forme Hiver

Comments

• mb5
    mb5 Posts: 19
    I am no expert but since no one else has weighed in yet--

It seems to me that you get less for your money with the big brands (specialized, trek) than you can elsewhere. I'd say consider the boardman road comp (on sale @ £630), and perhaps look at a brand like planet-X too (+ribble??). But if you are happy to pay for the brand/looks then AFAIK it's a good bike.

As for 'will it be worth upgrading to 105'.. different people have differing opinions on that. It perhaps depends on how much you see yourself getting into road cycling. Aiming for a tiagra rear mech/ shifters might be worth considering if you are thinking about that. (i've heard a boardman owner say their gears are not much worse than the 105s)
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    +1 on the Ribble idea - I have a Ribble Gran Fondo as my road bike (I specced it up with 105 etc but Sora is fine) and it's a lovely ride.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    The Allez was my first road bike a few years ago and I would definitely recommend it (but try it first). It's a good all rounder and you can ride it all day. I wouldnt bother upgrading to 105, if you enjoy it just upgrade to another bike :-)
    (my Allez has become a very good winter bike)
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I would not worry about upgrades yet, all the bikes above are good bikes, try a few for size/fit. Ride it for a few years while you are a student and then treat yourself, when you get your first full time job.Well done for saving £700, its a good amount for a bike. Dont forget there a other bits and bobs you might need. Pedals,shoes ect. Good luck and happy shopping.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    +1 on the Allez. I upgraded a few months ago from an old CB and it's a fantastic piece of kit.
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    I got a 2011 Allez, and I cant fault it.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • TJenkos
    TJenkos Posts: 23
    I very recently purchased the Cube Peloton as I fancied something different from the usual. I honestly don't know how much better its competitors are, or if they even are, but it does me just fine as a newbie and am more than happy with it so far.

This was £680 so around the same price, and looks a much pricier bike! The reviewsdo seem on its side..
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    I have a 2011 Allez Sport and highly recommend. The sora components are fine, although I did get some 105 brakes cheap so upgraded them. I can't see why anything else needs to be upgraded to be honest, it'll last for years. There's hardly any difference between the 2011 and 2012 models, so perhaps have a look around for a 2011 model and you might save quite a bit.

A quick check on the web and you can get the Sport 18 for £599 and the Sport 27 for £619
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2 ... z-sport-18
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-2 ... z-sport-27

PS - not used that site before, so worth checking over if you were going to use it.
  • RT8
    RT8 Posts: 18
    Thank you all for your prompt replies - Though I think it'd only strengthened my want for an Allez! Haha.
    Forme Hiver
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And don't forget to insure it. If it does get nicked you can have a rethink
  • CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    You know you could always pick up last years model second hand for around £300-£350. Saving you a whole load of cash, and the bike, providing its had a nice owner, should be in relatively good nick.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The Ribble Winter/Audax or 7005 Race frame always to do well in reviews. I think Cycling Plus reviewed the Audax and said it was the best value for money bike at about £700 although I can't seem to find that review right now... I bought 1 a couple of years ago, it cost I think £560 and has full Tiagra groupset, brakes, front and rear mechs, everything... The best you can hope for on a Specialized or Trek etc is Sora...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The best you can hope for on a Specialized <snip> etc is Sora...
    Unless you go up to the Elite level - which is Tiagra ...
    2011 version can be got for ~£700
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Slowbike wrote:

Full Tiagra or just the rear mech? But yeah, it's a good idea to gofor last years models for a better bargain or even 2nd hand
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Full Tiagra or just the rear mech? But yeah, it's a good idea to gofor last years models for a better bargain or even 2nd hand
    Dunno - I've just got the base model ... :o
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Following advice on here, I got a second hand Allez as my first serious bike. Have to say I'm very pleased with it - regular servicing and setting up the gears at the LBS seems to keep everything dandy.

The only comment I would make after a few months of being on this forum is that people who are into cycling in the way that those on here are, are fastidious about bikes, components and keeping them in mint or near mint condition ( a quick look through the classifieds on this site will see many examples of second hand bikes and equipment that have been lovingly looked after and maintained - many for sale in the original boxes etc.) Hell, people even take photos of a 1mm paint chip to show the prospective buyer the tiniest fault.

Bearing this in mind, your £700 could buy you an awful lot of second hand cycle, in fantastic condition, that could be better than the Allez. I always buy Hi Fi equipment this way. Proper buffs buy the latest, best equipment and then, when the newer version is out, sell their kit in near new condition for a fraction of the cost as new.

If you want a new bike for that kind of cash then I don't think you could go wrong with the Allez, but you might pick up a gleaming Tarmac or similar second hand for the same amount.

Just a thought.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I bought a 2011 Allez last Oct as my first road bike ansd since then I've done 2,000 miles on it I can't fault it still looks like new, great bit of kit. I have built my own Carbon frame bike now and Allez will be my winter hack this year.
  • Wulz
    Wulz Posts: 100
    Ive had two bikes which have had sora shifters about the 700 mark and both were very nice. my first road bike was or still is my daily commuter, a trek 2009 1,5 with sora shifters and tiagra mechs. Then we bought a scott s50 for my wife again with sora. after about a year or so i bought a kuota kebel as a fancy toy which came with ultegra kit. I was already fed up with the thumb shift of the sora and just a few minutes with the drop shift was enough to make me upgrade my shifters on the trek to 105. so my current setup on the trek 1.5 is tiagra mechs, 105 shifters and its been a very good change. my wife is more than happy on the sora but after trying the drop shifting i could not get on well with the sora thumb arrangement for much longer. The change from sora shift to tiagra or 105 is not too pricey and makes a very big change to the way the bike feels. Ok you need to change cassette and maybe chain from 9 to 10 speed( i never have, in still running the 9 speed chain ) so its not super simple but its not difficult either. As for the allez, test it, if it feels good then go for it. You can defo tweak it later for not much cash.

Happy hunting
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My LBS says the 2012 Allez is sold out and they're having to get the 2013 into stock early:
    http://www.aviemorebikes.co.uk/bikes/ev ... rload.html (bottom of page).

I bought a Rouabaix SL3 last month, when I did there were < 12 size 52s left in the UK. Demand must be pretty high.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!