Totnes Hills

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,341
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone know the lie of the land between Totnes and Cornworthy? I have a meeting down there tomorrow and am very tempted to cycle the last 6.5 miles from Totnes, as well as the 12 miles to Paddington. However, a quick look at the topography suggests to 500ft climbs, which might mean the first thing I need on arrival is a shower. What's the riding like down there?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    devon is primarily hilly , but some great riding , not ridden totnes area but been down there a few times and it is hilly. worth it for some of the views , make it a longer ride (time permitting) around the bay then it's worth the showering !!! enjoy the ride & hopefully some sunshine !!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I grew up cycling in the South Hams. I think you'll find the rolling S Devon countryside a bit taxing, but if you take it easy and spin up the hills you might get away with a warm glow...

From memory, you'll have mostly narrow, single track lanes with passing points here and there between Totnes and Cornworthy. Could be a bit messy with all the rain/muck, but the lanes should at least be quiet - just take it easy descending (I've used hedges to scrub off speed and skin in the past)...
  • rjsterry
    Origamist wrote:
    I grew up cycling in the South Hams. I think you'll find the rolling S Devon countryside a bit taxing, but if you take it easy and spin up the hills you might get away with a warm glow...

From memory, you'll have mostly narrow, single track lanes with passing points here and there between Totnes and Cornworthy. Could be a bit messy with all the rain/muck, but the lanes should at least be quiet - just take it easy descending (I've used hedges to scrub off speed and skin in the past)...

S'alright, I grew up near the edge of the Cotswolds, so I know what a hill is, although I may have gone a bit soft from all the flat commuting. Good point about the muddy lanes. I've got the guards on still, but will take it easy on the descents. Unfortunately, the forecast is warm and humid, so I think I'm going to be sticky whatever.

EDIT: Where are my manners? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    So...

Good sense got the better of me and I accepted a lift from the engineer I was meeting. I did get to ride briefly across Totnes, which has some not inconsiderable short sharp climbs itself, to drop my bike at the engineer's office before setting off to the oak frame manufacturer in Cornworthy. There followed a rather hairy ride down the aforementioned muddy single track lanes with some steep slippery looking descents and locals driving towards us at speed. Would have been a great ride, but not really sensible as a way to get to a meeting. Absolutely stunning scenery too; dead jealous of the views from their offices.

Only downside was the epic pollen count.
    Pinnacle Monzonite