Diet advice needed for upcoming charity Tour de France

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

I'm going to be cycling 5 mountain stages of the Tour de France for charity between 14th and 18th July. I've staggered 4 of the 5 stages over 2 days each, so will be cycling an average of around 50-60 miles per day.

My question is, what eating/drinking routine is best during these rides. Should I stop halfway and eat something? Should I only drink fluids during riding, then eat afterward? etc etc

I've seen the energy/electrolyte type drinks advertised, but am, not sure which are best and if they should be used in conjunction with anything else. I know that hyponatremia can be an issue, so thought it best to ask you experts for some advice!

Christian.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hyponatremia won't be an issue for you unless you're stopping to buy water every hour so that's not a worry.

You find out whats best for you in your training rides - so what have you been doing so far ?

I'd go for energy drink and water in the bottles and some energy bars as solid food. Or flapjacks if you're cheap.
    It will probably be hot - so forget mars bars ! I would try not to stop as it might be hard to get going again.

Good luck.
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    If you are doing 50-60 miles a day you will have time for lunch!!

There are often good restaurants with an excellent plat du jour or a menu cyclist which they tend to bring quickly:)

So have a decent breakfast, climb a col or two, stop for lunch, follow with some decent coffee and enjoy the rest of the days ride. So you will be fine just carrying water/energy drink and perhaps the odd bar in case you are starving before you find the right cafe.

Enjoy!
  • aah thanks for the 'menu cyclist' advice... didn't know that!

I might end up splitting each day's rides into 2 sections with lunch in the middle... Guess I'll just have to see how I go!

I'll definitely eat well a few hours before cycling and take a tank load of Powerade and water along the way, among other things!

Thank you... I can't wait!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter guys... twitter.com/Dransfield1984