Replacement saddle for standard Giant

tank121
tank121 Posts: 201
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can I have your recommendations to replace the standard Giant saddle on my Giant Terrago trail bike 2007.

Looking for something comfy for general XC/trail rides and that will fit onto the existing post. Alternatively a post/saddle combo if there any good?

Something light too.

Budget up to £40.00

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bit of a personal thing. What's comfortable for one person is a bit of a plank for someone else. Standard Giant saddles are generally pretty uncomfortable.
    Try going to a shop & sitting on bikes to find a comfortable saddle
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Standard answer, Charge Spoon - seems to fit 90% of people.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ^^ This - been riding on one now for about 3 months and its more comfortable/cheaper than any other saddle I've had.

Saying that though - personal taste does come in so it might make sense to try some out in the lbs.
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • rockmonkeysc
    I did have a Charge Spoon & found it pretty uncomofrtable. Best to try a few.
  • I bought a Charge Spoon to replace the awful stock item on my Carrera - i fitted it for one ride, it was a lot better, but I then sold the bike. The Charge Spoon sat to one side in its packaging if you're interested, but as stated above whats good for one person can be painful to someone else ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tank121 wrote:
    that will fit onto the existing post.
    there are very few that will not fit.

I beam will not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    Saddles with 8mm rails probably won't fit
  • tank121
    tank121 Posts: 201
    OK going for the Charged Spoon. Any difference between the 2011 and 2012 model?

Going for it in black, I take it the Charge Spoon Saddle with Cromo Rails is the correct one?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope find an old one on sale, I think Wiggle had them for £15 - orange underneath so it will help the medevac chopper find you when you come off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I just bought a Charge Spoon to replace the stock saddle on my Giant TCR road bike. Only to discover when it arrived that they're the same damn saddle - same shape, size, mouldings; they clearly both come off the same production line. Oh well, I suppose I can fit it to my Giant hybrid instead (which has a saddle only the devil could love).
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.