Its a revelation i tells thee!

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
i have been wearing lycra on my commute for ages now but i have always worn boxers underneath of my shorts as i was always worried about.....

see thru shorts - never a good look (even if you do have a peachy ass like me)

wibbly wobbly ass cheeks - again never a good look

so this morning i though "sod it" an didnt wear any under crackers but i wore a pair of baggys over them ( i will hopefully build up to just my shorts without baggies)

an by the powers of grey skull how much comfier is it?! no more irritation off stitching

that is all
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    welcome to the obvious club... :D

I also rode for the first time with a sleeveless top to help stop overheating and sweating. Didn't help *that* much but did cause more looks as I swaggered through the office from the ladies...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I did tell the lady I stopped to help on the London to Brighton about this, after she had a tactical dismount, when she became worried about her thigh tattoo so pulled her shorts out of the way to check it.

And I quote "fancy french lace undercrackers are going to HURT after sixty miles".
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    .... but did cause more looks as I swaggered through the office from the ladies...

They were probably just shocked that you'd been in the ladies toilet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Asprilla wrote:
    .... but did cause more looks as I swaggered through the office from the ladies...

They were probably just shocked that you'd been in the ladies toilet.

Enough with them negatives waves man... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    I did tell the lady I stopped to help on the London to Brighton about this, after she had a tactical dismount, when she became worried about her thigh tattoo so pulled her shorts out of the way to check it.

And I quote "fancy french lace undercrackers are going to HURT after sixty miles".

When you say 'stopped to help' are you being entirely truthful?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • it really does make sense though....suprised you didnt do it sooner!

I am however still in the baggiesoverthetopclub. Mostly due to walking through the office/eating breakfast etc. Sundays on the other hand, Lycra all the way!
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Embrace the Lycra...

... you'll feel a sense of satisfaction when you do
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    rjsterry wrote:

When you say 'stopped to help' are you being entirely truthful?

Yes. :roll:
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Never had a problem with my Gore bibshorts and the girls in the office :) Had plenty of 'nice legs' comments...

Maybe the Gore isn't as thin as other brands? or maybe its because there are several lycra-clad cyclists here, including some of the Exec, its all very commonplace...

Anyway was bibshorts and SS top partially unzipped this morning :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It beggars belief that people wear boxer shorts under cycling shorts. In other news, I worked out the other day that it was more comfortable swimming without boxers under my speedos...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    wait a minute...

you're not meant to be wear your boxers under your lycra?
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I was wearing Baggies over my Lycra shorts up until about 18 months ago when I just though sod it !!
    Now I am proud to be a 38 year old man in Lycra ..... everyone in work is over it now so the piss taking has worn off and I can walk about without comment .
    It's comfier,keeps you cooler,faster and gives you a proper cyclists suntan too :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had a 'cheeky' comment as I was bent over signing in at work once. Worryingly it was from a man :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I wear baggies over lycra for the office. There are ladies here and, well, they're only human.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    redvee wrote:
    I had a 'cheeky' comment as I was bent over signing in at work once. Worryingly it was from a man :shock:
    Yes very worrying.

I've heard there are more and more of these "men who like other men", one day they might even make it legal......
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    That's the Welsh for you ;-)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    That's the Welsh for you ;-)

Referring to redvee's comment ..
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    There was a guy I passed in Richmond Park on Tuesday night and he had a white panel across the back of his lycra shorts. All I can say is I wish he'd been wearing boxers underneath. I nearly hurled.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dude - 2307 posts and you have only just got round to not wearing boxers under your lycra shorts?! :D Seriously?!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    mroli wrote:
    Dude - 2307 posts and you have only just got round to not wearing boxers under your lycra shorts?! :D Seriously?!
    +1 to that. Next you'd be telling my I don't need the Y-fronts on that I'd been wearing under the boxers too :?:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think he's pulling your p!sser guys.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Think he's pulling your p!sser guys.

A bit slower but squeeze a bit tighter, please.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    ShandyH wrote:
    There was a guy I passed in Richmond Park on Tuesday night and he had a white panel across the back of his lycra shorts. All I can say is I wish he'd been wearing boxers underneath. I nearly hurled.

White Lycra shorts don't tend to be a great look!
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    commando!? news to me :lol: i purchased my first lycra bib shorts only a month ago.. they were on offer.
    ridden in them lots, but not so impressed compared to my trusty baggy shorts (which never chafe).

seem require the airflow up my nethers to stay cool, but i do rock merino baselayers and think everything should be merino from waist up :) Compression kit on the other hand is awesome if you can justify the prices

may try commando just to see if it helps keepin em cool :| but will always give myself stick for wearing lycra nevermind the office, shame there is no eye candy at my workplace to test other peoples theories but, i'm certain the old cleaner is impressed :oops: