Fox RP23 pro pedal / lockout

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I have a cube AMS pro 100 (2010) with a fox RP23 rear shock (I believe 165mm but may be corrected). The bike is one year old and I have been disappointed with the pro-pedal since day one and now want to consider changing the rear shock. My other half has a Gary Fisher hi fi GS and the pro-pedal on that shock is excellent and almost locks out completely whereas on my RP23 it still bobs around like its not even on. I don't have much budget wise (and will be relying on the money I make from fleebaying the RP23 (anyone want it, like new condition!)) and I was hoping that people can recommend a few shocks that either have lockout or some kind of propedal which really works? Thanks.

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Have you considered whilst having the shock serviced, having the level of Pro Pedal adjusted? That'll work out far cheaper than a new shock of equivalent spec
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Pro Pedal does really work..

Just buy a hardtail if your that bothered about the tiniest bit of bounce....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pro-pedal isn't a lock out. You won't get a much better shock than the RP23, try speaking to TF Tuned about getting it serviced or tuned.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The rp23 is an excellent shock. I think you need to try it on a harder setting or look at your setup. You should get some movement but importantly it won't sychronise with pedal effort. Check also that it is actually on. Check the switch position as well as the dial.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Pro-pedal isn't a lock out. You won't get a much better shock than the RP23, try speaking to TF Tuned about getting it serviced or tuned.

incorrect, his RP23 is rubbish and I will take it off his hands for £5.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531

incorrect, his RP23 is rubbish and I will take it off his hands for £5.

Thas the kind of immature comment that just brings this forum right down pah !

On a serious note it is rubbish but ill happily give you £20 ................. :lol:
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would highly recommend getting it serviced the RP2 on my Rize was distinctly meh until the lbs serviced and recharged it (£80) the difference was like night and day.

My theory is that OE suspension components are second-rate at best, it's all part of a plan to make us 'upgrade' when all they really need is a bit of tlc
  • tavyabe
    Thanks for the replies. I should mention that it is not a tiny bit of bounce, I can barely tell any difference between when the pro-pedal is no or off. I took it to my LBS and was told that they had had a number of people with the same problem. They suggested two options 1) get it tuned, they estimated £130ish, 2) sell it and use the money to get another shock (they suggested RS Monarch but that is why I am here to ask what shock people would recommend).

I guess from the general response I shouldn't give up on the RP23 yet as I get the impression it ought to be a good bit of kit. I will do some reading (or watching) on how to set it up properly and see if I can get any results and if I can't then I'm back to the question of do I spend £130 on tuning it or do I sell it and put the money (along with the £130 it would cost to tune) into buy a new shock and if so which shock...

Thanks for your help, I will report back once I have tried setting it up myself any helpful links on how to set it up would be appreceiated :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You aren't really going to get a better shock, so it is either fubared (which I doubt) or not adjusted properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    tavyabe wrote:
    they suggested RS Monarch
    :lol:
    Oh man, that's even funnier than the one about the vicar and the... Er, nevermind.

If your shock's seen two years of use, it may well be overdue for a service. After a while, it's possible for air to get in and mix with the damping oil, making the damping practically useless.
    Or, it could just be a terrible reas suspension design - or one not suited to you.
    I'd go with the air/oil mix though.

Send it to TFTuned, it'll get sorted for less than £100 (or use Mojo or Loco, they've all got good reputations)
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    In my experience, Cubes generally come with a lower compression tune on the shock. If it was tuned whilst it was sent away you could have it changed to a medium or a high giving you more Pro Pedal in the on position.

There isn't really a better performing shock than an RP23, so buying a new shock IMHO would be a waste of time and your money.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    if your going to sell it (if its 165 i'm interested) be more helpful than this guy.
    Dear vwsurfbum,

its off a marin wolf ridge and u can adjust the size by puttin air in n out

- scottwright20102012

Reply in your email program or through My Messages
    Respond Now

To: scottwright20102012
    Subject: Details about the item: vwsurfbum sent a message about fox float rp 23 #180915798252
    Sent Date: 27-Jun-12 16:31:53 BST

Dear scottwright20102012,

Hi mate, What length eye 2 eye is the shock?
    or what frame is it off and i'll look it up?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    u can adjust the size by puttin air in n out

words... failing to find them...

that wasn't through pinkbike classifieds, was it?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    if your going to sell it (if its 165 i'm interested) be more helpful than this guy.
    Dear vwsurfbum,

its off a marin wolf ridge and u can adjust the size by puttin air in n out
    Oh my god, the stupid, it really burns.
    Anyway, I may be able to help you out...

Marin have used on the Wolf Ridge:
    2005 Float RP3 Length 7.875" Stroke 2"
    2007 Float RP23 Length: 7.875" Stroke: 2"
    2009 Float RP23XV Length: 7.5" Stroke 2"

Of course, he may have bought it aftermarket, in which case, god only knows.
  • VWsurfbum
    i gave up, others out there, might of been better looked after too.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Shame. Guy sounds so stupid you probbaly could have swapped it for some "magic" (baked) beans.
  • VWsurfbum
    :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you can't tell the difference on and off then something is wrong. What pro pedal position do you have it set to? There are 3 options. Totally agree with what others have said about RS monarch. I assume that is what your lbs stock? I've had my rp23 for 3 years and it's the best shock I've owned.
  • tavyabe
    Well... thanks for the help everyone but some ba*****d has saved me the hassle of trying to get it working by stealing the bike! and braking the garage door and stealing the wife's Gary Fisher Hi Fi - so unfortunately I won't be able to set it up and try it out. I will spare you all the raging rant about the scumbags that did it. :(
  • VWsurfbum
    Oh man that sucks!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ****ing tossers. been there had that happen. awful feeling knowing some scrote probably sold it for £50 to spend on cocaine.