Welcome New Members! Dumb questions answered here.......

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited June 2012 in Pro race
.......hopefully!

We were all new to this sport once (apart from a couple of established posters who were read CycleSport and Procycling magazines in their cradles) and we all had dumb, stupid questions to ask which seem so obvious to everyone else.

So, fell free to ask them here. I may not know all the answers, but if not, there should be plenty in this parish who do.

(Warning:- If there's one word I would advise avoiding at this stage, that word is Armstrong. Whatever your views on him at present, these views may change as you become engrossed in this sport, and anyway there are plenty other threads devoted to him.)

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Pro - Cycling and Cycle Sport ???? I beg your pardon Tusher i bought Winning and titbits 8) ....then Winning went all Liggett & Sherwin with their americanisms.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Pro - Cycling and Cycle Sport ???? I beg your pardon Tusher i bought Winning and titbits 8) ....then Winning went all Liggett & Sherwin with their americanisms.

Winning always was an American magazine, I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It had a "European" version then it went back to TEN pages on the Coors classic and the Giro barely got 2 pages...think it was John wilcockson who was the editor and Rupert Guinness.
  • Tusher
    Never even heard of it!
  • Gazzetta67
    Tusher wrote:
    Never even heard of it!

Lightweight :D The Jackie was still on sale you must have bought that tusher ? or am i making you sound older than you are.
  • Tusher
    The Jackie??? Naw, I was a Bunty girl.

The Four Marys.

Sigh.

I'll skim through the period in my life when all that mattered was ponies, and then, in my early twenties, I found

The Comic.

The one and only. To any lurking newbies, The Comic is Cycling Weekly magazine. I have no idea why it's called The Comic, but it has been for ages. Possibly because it sat with the comics in the old style newsagents.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Tusher, I think I've upset my wife. What can I do to get back in her good books?
  • Tusher
    It's too late to start scrubbing the kitchen floor, but you must make amends before the sun goes down (which is about now), so act quickly.

1. turn off the computer, unless it's to order her flowers on Interflora.
    2. load the dishwasher/wash the dishes
    3. hang up any washing that's finished in the machine
    4. polish her shoes
    5. set out a tray for her breakfast in bed tomorrow. Make sure she sees it.
    6. give her as much cash as you have, and tell her you're sorry, it was all your fault, and to use the money to treat herself to something nice tomorrow.

Fundamentally, you must admit it's all your fault and beg her forgiveness.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It had a "European" version then it went back to TEN pages on the Coors classic and the Giro barely got 2 pages...think it was John wilcockson who was the editor and Rupert Guinness.

Keep in mind many Americans feel the same way about CycleSport and Pro Cycling, all Cav and Sky all the time.
  • Gazzetta67
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Keep in mind many Americans feel the same way about CycleSport and Pro Cycling, all Cav and Sky all the time.

Stopped buying both cos even after the texan messiah had retired he was on the front every other month and as you say it was loaded towards sky.
  • Gazzetta67
    Tusher wrote:
    The Jackie??? Naw, I was a Bunty girl.

The Four Marys.

Sigh.

I'll skim through the period in my life when all that mattered was ponies, and then, in my early twenties, I found

The Comic.

The one and only. To any lurking newbies, The Comic is Cycling Weekly magazine. I have no idea why it's called The Comic, but it has been for ages. Possibly because it sat with the comics in the old style newsagents.

I was an Oor Wullie & the Broons man before i found the comic in 1983 ouch
  • Tusher
    Still buy their album every Christmas as a stocking filler for the Rev Tusher.
  • Tusher
    What was the saying, "Scotland will never be free until the last minister has been strangled by the last copy of the Sunday Post"?

Or something like that.

What really concerns me is that there was only The People's Friend in a waiting room last month. So I read it.
    Now Meals-on-Wheels and Tena Ladies is probably all I've got to look forward to.

Someone remind me how far off topic this thread now is. And in such a short space of time!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    ^^^

Another sherry, m'dear?

:D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Winning was good, but you had to read ICS (International Cycle Sport, for those of you who came to the sport after the mid 80's!).It really was my local mag since it was based in the next town to me (Keighley). Nice big glossy mag, ahead of it's time.
    As far as the 'comic' name, I think lots of 'mens' weekly mags got called comics, I know Motor Cycle News was.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Tusher wrote:
    Someone remind me how far off topic this thread now is. And in such a short space of time!

A Tusher advice thread has legs though.

My wife's best friend posted holiday snap on Facebook. In an unguarded moment I said "She's holding up well for a mother of twins"***. My wife, also the mother of twins, wasn't/isn't best pleased.

Is there any way back?

***Yes, that's exactly how I phrased it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I had a next door neighbour who gave me his full collection of The Comic around late 1988. The collection stretched back to about '85. I then bought it every week for about 10 years and kept them all. Parents binned the collection about a year after i moved out. At time i wasn't bothered, now, i'm a bit gutted. Had all of the early Cycle Sports and a large selection of Winning issues. Also used to by foreign mags whenever i went abroad. I guess its lucky i don't have them now, the Mrs would go mental :)
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    I always thought that the CW was referred to as "the comic" because it used to be comically.... bad!? Just a bit like you could refer to Paul&Phil as the "comical duo"!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There probably is scope for a "newbie" thread.

Might think about putting one as a sticky just for the TdF.

One where the title doesn't call their n00b questions dumb ;).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Tusher wrote:
    It's too late to start scrubbing the kitchen floor, but you must make amends before the sun goes down (which is about now), so act quickly.

4. polish her shoes
    6. give her as much cash as you have, and tell her you're sorry, it was all your fault, and to use the money to treat herself to something nice tomorrow.

Thanks Tush, that worked. You're the best! :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

If I do this will you all behave and be nice?

If you don't like the n00b questions you can always avoid the sticky.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Is this the place to ask about Wiggin's socks again then ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Tusher

If I do this will you all behave and be nice?

If you don't like the n00b questions you can always avoid the sticky.

That would be great, Mr Rick, Sir.

All suggestions for a change of title welcome..........Basic Questions?
  • Tusher
    Or..............Everything you always wondered about pro cycling but were too afraid to ask.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Will Cav have a shot at the yellow top this year?

Do you think someone will go on the attack on the final stage when everyone else is drinking champagne and steal a podium spot?

Why doesn't the person in 2nd place just pedal a bit harder?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Will Cav have a shot at the yellow top this year?

Do you think someone will go on the attack on the final stage when everyone else is drinking champagne and steal a podium spot?

Why doesn't the person in 2nd place just pedal a bit harder?

:lol: My Dad says such things. Old fool.

He came over when I had the Giro on one day and stayed untill the end, it was a day one of the breakaway riders won. Saw him the next day and said I wanted to get off to go and watch the Giro.

He said ''you watched that yesterday, the bloke in the navy and green won it!"

Dear Dad, I do not have a lifetime to explain the In's and Out's of a stage race to you. Please do not enter my house when the cycling is on ever again. Thanks.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Rick, Where's that sticky? I can feel those noob threads a coming.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Alan A wrote:
    Rick, Where's that sticky? I can feel those noob threads a coming.
    It's at the top of the page: 'New to Tour de France/cycling...'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Questions:

Where can I buy a big suitcase of courage?

Can my bottom bracket be adjusted to prevent me from pedalling squares?

They often speak of a rider "putting the hammer down". I carry a small multi-tool when out riding but have never felt the need for any larger tools.

On stage 21 of the 1987 tour when Delgado attacked on La Plagne, do you think it was his overconfidence or just an amazing effort on the part of Roche to make the time back up?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Tusher wrote:

4. polish her shoes

I would add:
    7: Do the weekly shopping.
    8. Cook the meals
    :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman