Canyon Nerve XC rocker pivot bolt loose

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just thought I would post this as a warning to all Canyon Nerve owners. Just got back from a quick spin on the Nerve which was spoilt by a constant knocking noise over every bump. Stopped 3 times looking for the noise but couldnt spot where it was coming from till I got home and went over everything with a torch. The bolts which mount the suspension rocker arm to the seatpost were loose and had nearly come completely out on the drive side. These are short bolts and neither of them had thread lock on. Might be a good idea to check the bolts on your Canyon as losing them could be nasty for your bike and your bank balance.

I know I should check over the bike regulary but I dont do it every ride and the bolts are so short that once its obvious they are loose they are halfway out. Have a check with an Allen key and do what I have just done put a drop of threadlock on them. Hopefully now I have spotted this I will catch it early next time.

Just to add none of the other bolts were loose and its been a year and a lot of bumpy miles before this happened might just be my bike but worth a quick check.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably worth checking all bolts more frequently than once a year. A lot more frequently.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    cooldad wrote:
    Probably worth checking all bolts more frequently than once a year. A lot more frequently.

It gets checked over every time I go on a big ride but the local rides it doesnt though I suppose I should do more often. Its like a car your supposed to check the oil and water regulary but how many of us do unless we are doing big miles on the M way.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I too have noticed that those came a bit loose, during weekly maintenance/after washing/pre ride.

I tightened them.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • for fear of sounding stupid which bolts are these?
  • stubs
    Its this one. It had not threadlock on it but it has now and hasnt come loose again.

edit odd it wont show picture try this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30392791@N07/7536881330/
  • thought that was the one you meant, that bad boy is tight
  • stubs
    thought that was the one you meant, that bad boy is tight

No sign of them shifting now there is threadlock on them. Its the first thing I check now, I dont know what would happen if the bolts came out at speed and I am determined never to find out :lol:
  • Hi all,

Same problem with my bike (Nerve AL 7.0 2013). Bought it in April, two months later the main pivot screw (drive side) completely fell off. I had to send the bike back to Germany because the ring around the hole where the screw goes was bent. Now, end of September, the screw got loose again! This time I fixed it myself and added some threadlock (there was none).
    I understand that every part of the bike should be inspected regularly but this is part of the frame! It's like checking if your engine is still correctly bolted to your car. Moreover, you need to take out the crankset to be able to access that screw on the drive side.
    I hope that the threadlock will work. Such a shame that Canyon doesn't put some at assembly or even when the bike is sent back for that problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not a car though, it's a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nickbec
    nickbec Posts: 36
    stubs said:

Just thought I would post this as a warning to all Canyon Nerve owners. Just got back from a quick spin on the Nerve which was spoilt by a constant knocking noise over every bump. Stopped 3 times looking for the noise but couldnt spot where it was coming from till I got home and went over everything with a torch. The bolts which mount the suspension rocker arm to the seatpost were loose and had nearly come completely out on the drive side. These are short bolts and neither of them had thread lock on. Might be a good idea to check the bolts on your Canyon as losing them could be nasty for your bike and your bank balance.

I know I should check over the bike regulary but I dont do it every ride and the bolts are so short that once its obvious they are loose they are halfway out. Have a check with an Allen key and do what I have just done put a drop of threadlock on them. Hopefully now I have spotted this I will catch it early next time.

Just to add none of the other bolts were loose and its been a year and a lot of bumpy miles before this happened might just be my bike but worth a quick check.

• nickbec
    nickbec Posts: 36
    I too had an issue in Aug 2020. a pivot bolt ( I think its called ) came off. In fact it snapped and left my wheel rubbing seriously onto my lower stay. I did manage to get a spare sent from Canyon after 2 weeks and they promised to send a replacement pair as I made it very clear this should have happened and now I am nervous. I have not received them yet. so watch this space.
    ps the bike is only 3 months old