Best tires for Dalby forest in boggy conditions.

pmk_travel
pmk_travel Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in Routes
Hello, went to dalby forest today to test my new bike out. (Lapierre zesty 314)
The bike felt great apart from the tires. The tires was a huge let down and spoilt most of the fun. I was slipping on everything they touched. rocks, roots, sand and in the boogy/muddy sections. The tires are continental mountain king 2 - 2.4 on the front, which i also felt was way to big! and
x-king 2.2 on the back. this gave hardly any grip either a slight touch of the brake it would lock up.
I did have fun today on the red route. but sliding/skidding and slipping spoilt it for me

any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Your not going to find a tyre that's great on all of those contditions. The X King rear may be lacking slightly on the rear if it's really wet.

I use both of these in 2.2 and the mountain king 2 is a good all rounder, slides predictably and is good front and rear. The X king is suited to drier conditions, even on the rear in the wet it's not bad.

What pressures were you running? It will have a huge bearing on the amount of grip. If I run mine a 40psi in the wet they slide all the time. i run them around 30psi when its wet and muddy 30psi, it will be more than enough. Nearer to 20psi if its really wet.

If you have a preference on a previous tyre just switch to those, tyres are such an individual thing.
  • pmk_travel
    pmk_travel Posts: 18
    Your not going to find a tyre that's great on all of those contditions. The X King rear may be lacking slightly on the rear if it's really wet.

I use both of these in 2.2 and the mountain king 2 is a good all rounder, slides predictably and is good front and rear. The X king is suited to drier conditions, even on the rear in the wet it's not bad.

What pressures were you running? It will have a huge bearing on the amount of grip. If I run mine a 40psi in the wet they slide all the time. i run them around 30psi when its wet and muddy 30psi, it will be more than enough. Nearer to 20psi if its really wet.

If you have a preference on a previous tyre just switch to those, tyres are such an individual thing.

Hello,

I think the front is just a mountain king. Instead of the 2, if that's any different. but i think the pressure was a big problem. the front was 30-35 and rear 40psi - recommended by the dealer.

I've just ordered some maxxis advantage 2.25 60a front and 2.1 70a rear. would you still recommend between 20 -30 psi for these? it's meant to be raining on saturday.

cheers,
    Paul.