New to commuting - advice on websites for cycle journeys

CaerlyrOsprey
CaerlyrOsprey Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster!

Finally plucked up the courage to move from weekend cyclist to commuter and am planning my first cycle commute tomorrow.

Would love some help on working out the best cycling routes for commuting. Is there a website that allows you to choose cycling as an option, as google does for driving or walking?

My normal commute takes me up the A5 from Nuneaton to Lichfield, and I don't fancy riding that road.

Cheers,

Kev.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    There's plenty - bikehike.co.uk is a good one that can show elevation as well as distance etc. look for the Course Creater link on the home page.

I know that bit of road; it's not cycle friendly, certainly not at rush hour time.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/ use balanced route and look out for bits where you might be able to make a short cut as it's not perfect. I find their Android APP useful (if a bit slow) when out and about as well.

Roads will only get cycle friendly when enough people cycle them routinely. Drivers will adapt their behaviour (same cars use the same road at the same time everyday, they'll get used to you being there and be ready for it, I've seen this happen after changing routes) and hopefully councils will adapt their road policies.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Roads will only get cycle friendly when enough people cycle them routinely. Drivers will adapt their behaviour (same cars use the same road at the same time everyday, they'll get used to you being there and be ready for it, I've seen this happen after changing routes) and hopefully councils will adapt their road policies.
    I agree with this to a point, I've seen the same happen when I started commuting (also in Warwickshire, but in the South, rather than the North where the OP is). But that was on country roads. The A5 is basically a motorway, i wouldn't ride along there.

You can use google maps, set to give walking directions, as that avoids roads like the A5 that aren't a nice place to cycle, and it gives the shortest distance rather than quickest driving time.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • twoshots
    twoshots Posts: 58
    I use http://bikeroutetoaster.com/ to compile/test my rides.

That's a fair commute once you add in the extra miles from staying away from the A5. Could you go Merevale, Wilncote, Weeford, Whittington, Lichfield?

Personally I tend to stick the quietest roads I can find even if it add a few miles it is still a much more pleasureable experience. Three abreast with an artic-truck was all I needed to stay away from the busy roads!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I dont think a computer program is any replacement for local knowledge. They are most useful figuring out routes to places you cant checkout. Spend a Sunday with an OS map, exploring.
    Using your local knowledge, note the safest crossing points for A5 and M42, pref bridges.
    Explore any "unofficial" ways, legal or otherwise and any potential flood-blocked routes.
    Figure out the best direction from which to approach your destination.
    Link them up with minor routes.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Sustrans !!!! they have all the national cycle routes on the website and you'd be surprised how many there are

have a hunt on the website of your local council, they often have maps for cycle routes etc
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Steve@Tern
    Steve@Tern Posts: 15
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/ use balanced route and look out for bits where you might be able to make a short cut as it's not perfect. I find their Android APP useful (if a bit slow) when out and about as well.

Yes, my vote goes to Cyclestreets as well. Bags of functionality and 3 choices of route for each journey. Pics as well!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    FYI: this is the A5. I wouldn't cycle on it in a million years.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."