Tyres for road use

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Because im not a homosexual I WILL NOT be buying a road bike. So need some road tyres so my off road ones dont wear out in a week.

Do you have any recommendations?? Ive been looking at Schwalbe Kojaks, are they any good??

Any advise, slagging off, bun fights welcome
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends, do you want volume?

I run on my ht super skinny front as the sus handles the bumps, but need more give in the back. Stiffens the angles a tad for the road too.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    If you want cheap there s schwalbe city jets or for durability and puncture resistance conti travel contact s, dear but
    light and I've had no puncture s in 2 years of commuting 100 miles a week.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My choice would be crazy bobs.

Decent puncture protection and 2.35" sizing means they are hoooooooge. Turns your bike into a urban assault vehicle. Fitting skinny tyres makes the whole ride a bit dull and lifeless in my experience and so only really worth it if you are doing a very long commute ~ 10miles +
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gay or straight, most roadies can actually ride up hills.

Just saying.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steelie600
    cooldad wrote:
    Gay or straight, most roadies can actually ride up hills.

Just saying.
    Feck orf!

I can just not that steep! Hence why I want road tyres to better myself!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    im a roadie and a mountain biker am i a bi biker..........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    tarbot18 wrote:
    im a roadie and a mountain biker am i a bi biker..........
    well if you don't know and have to ask the question, most probably :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    steelie600 wrote:
    im
    steelie600 wrote:
    a homosexual
    steelie600 wrote:
    Do you have any recommendations??

rumour has it the blue oyster club is the place to be
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thus putting yourself firmly in Cooldad and my age category you ol' fart!

Panaracer Ribmo are a good compromise, 1.5" width but the V shaped tread pattern means they roll like a narrower tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You've only just built the bike, gone out once and now you want road tyres? My advice would be to stick with what you have for a while and just get a reasonable level of fitness up before swapping and changing about. Also this should give you time to actually see if you like cycling and are going to stick with it. Ive read your other thread and its great you are trying to get fit, but you can get what you want with the knobblies. There is no way in hell, with your level of fitness, you will wear them out even after 6 months to a year.

However, if you want a fast tyre then i can recommend the Conti sport contact! Its slim and not too comfy, (get the 1.6) but its slick and has great pucture protection. At around 550g it will be a similar weight to your current tyres if not a little lighter. You will notice an immediate difference.

Good luck
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    You've only just built the bike, gone out once and now you want road tyres? My advice would be to stick with what you have for a while and just get a reasonable level of fitness up before swapping and changing about. Also this should give you time to actually see if you like cycling and are going to stick with it. Ive read your other thread and its great you are trying to get fit, but you can get what you want with the knobblies. There is no way in hell, with your level of fitness, you will wear them out even after 6 months to a year.

+ 1

Bike tyres don't wear out as quickly as this forum may have you believe. If you are commuting everyday and doing some serious mileage each week and/or hitting off road dirty stuff 2/3/more times a week, THEN you may notice good/bad tyre wear with different brands/types of tyre.

Before I sold my car and switched solely to bikes, I thought I was a regular rider and I was making tyres last 6 months to a year. Now I am doing the regular mileage, I do consider wear when I buy but it is still not top of my list as even the squidgiest of soft compound will last a good couple of months regular riding in my experience.

Schwalbe City Jets would get my vote though if we are staying on the subject of slicks.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Thus putting yourself firmly in Cooldad and my age category you ol' fart!

busted!
  • mrmonkfinger
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Bike tyres don't wear out as quickly as this forum may have you believe. If you are commuting everyday and doing some serious mileage each week and/or hitting off road dirty stuff 2/3/more times a week, THEN you may notice good/bad tyre wear with different brands/types of tyre.

Mainly I find its rock tears that kill tyres. This leaves big holes exposing a tender inner tube, leading to many regular punctures, or just to an unusable tyre straight away.

I don't think I've worn out an MTB tyres through "regular mileage wear" - I have a roadie for that kind of riding, and tyres last a good few 000's of miles.
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    What about some Halo Twin Rails, do both jobs reasonably well, quite cheap and you can even buy them in White.

Regards

Liam
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Another vote for city jets from me. Just fit and forget type things.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You can get Halo Twinrails in pink, you know.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    By the way, I have Ralphs on my hardtail and have been commuting 20+ miles every day for at least two weeks due to road bike problems and guess what... I still have rubber on my rims. I find Ralphs to be a very good middle ground if you want something that is going to grip on trails but not hold you back if you can't be arsed to swap tyres before the commute.
  • steelie600
    cheers guys.

Basically I have no choice but to walk or bike everywhere at the min (long story) so was really after the road tyres to stick on another set of rims and keep my knobbles for where they were intended. I know they wont wear out that quick but with the mileage I have to cover for work etc itll be quicker than most.

My fitness is coming along quite nicely tbh, a hill I couldnt do at the start of the week I flew up in 2f6r today Was a bit puffy at the top tho lol! Biggest thing im finding tho is cornering the knobblies do slide a lot on tarmac when cranked over, Im gonna get a taste of tarmac soon I reckon LOL

But will get a set of city jets ordered next payday. aswell as some cheap wheels/discs/cassette etc. Bug has been bitten id say LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just change the tyres, a new wheel/disc/cassette is going to be an unnecessary faff and expense and may result in you having to play about with the gears. Changing tyres only takes a couple of minutes.
  • Schwalbe Marathons ;) in 32c.. awesome
    current steeds
    mountain - Scott 'Scale 80' [2012]
    hybrid - Raliegh 'Urban 3' [2008]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,664
    Another vote for the Conti Sport Contacts in 1.6" width. Excellent road rubber, fast rolling and nice feel. Not tried the Schwalbes though for comparison. Have used Maxxis Detonator, which are ok, but nowhere near as nice to ride as the Contis.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS