Fitting a cable set

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Over the next few days i will be in a position to fit and set up the gears on my new build. I have bought a new Jagwire cableset which all looks very nice and i have purchased a set of proper cable cutters but i do not have the original cables to use as a guide to length. Therefore has anyone got a fools step by step guide to measuring the cable outters ensuring they are the right length? Any tips to stop me ruining my new cable set would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    After deciding which way you want the cables to run cut them a bit too long and do a trial fitting.
    Gradually shorten them until you are happy with the way they fit / look, and don't rattle.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Fit the cables to the shifters and tape them to the bars if they run under the handlebar tape then offer them up to the downtube guides before you cut. Similar with the rear loop, fit to the chainstay guide and bend it round in a nice smooth loop to the mech then cut.

With the old style Shimano exposed cables it's the same method though you need to set the curve of the cable by eye. Look at pictures of the pro riders bikes in the mags or on the net and it will show you the correct curve of the cables from shifter to guide. If in doubt leave them long to start with, you can always chop more off but you can't add it back on.