Cycling clubs SE London / North Kent

plb
plb Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I searched and came up with nothing, and didn't want to wake up any three year old threads only vaguely related.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for cycle clubs in SE London/North Kent? I've been riding a road bike now for just short of two years and, though I'm not superfit, I do alright in terms of longer distances (average speed is another story). I've always cycled alone, and love it, but I've just upgraded, and I'd like to give group rides a try - even just for the experience.

The problem is, I've not been enamoured with the local "superclub" down here: getting pushed onto the verge on country lanes by them cycling three abreast, without a second glance - that kind of thing. I know most have websites, but they all claim to be "welcoming" and "friendly", so any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    http://www.limitededitioncycling.co.uk/

Not a "superclub" in size, but a "superclub" in friendly atmosphere and encouragement. Based in Eltham, SE London and usually head out to NW Kent so ticks both of your boxes.

If you want more info PM me, I'm a member and ride with the group a few times a month.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    plb wrote:
    Apologies if this has already been asked, but I searched and came up with nothing, and didn't want to wake up any three year old threads only vaguely related.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for cycle clubs in SE London/North Kent? I've been riding a road bike now for just short of two years and, though I'm not superfit, I do alright in terms of longer distances (average speed is another story). I've always cycled alone, and love it, but I've just upgraded, and I'd like to give group rides a try - even just for the experience.

The problem is, I've not been enamoured with the local "superclub" down here: getting pushed onto the verge on country lanes by them cycling three abreast, without a second glance - that kind of thing. I know most have websites, but they all claim to be "welcoming" and "friendly", so any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks.

Would that be in Dulwich :)
  • tordis
    tordis Posts: 51
    Hey, the Limited Edition club is close to where I live, too! Never thought of joining one, as they all seemed to be full of macho guys bragging about their personal best and sucking in energy gels, but this one looks quite different :)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Dulwich is maybe a victim of its own success, it has got very big and as a result, maybe people don't always appear that friendly to everyone they meet. I've had good experiences on the Saturday rides, Wednesday night chaingangs, some of the other chaingangs are a bit more serious though with people more interested in getting a workout than having a chat. Fair enough - its a big club that caters for all sorts. Getting pushed off the ride would annoy me too, but I reckon that's the exception rather than the rule.
  • jonomc4
    nickellis wrote:
    http://www.limitededitioncycling.co.uk/

Not a "superclub" in size, but a "superclub" in friendly atmosphere and encouragement. Based in Eltham, SE London and usually head out to NW Kent so ticks both of your boxes.

If you want more info PM me, I'm a member and ride with the group a few times a month.

I live in Sundridge Park (near Bromley) - that club looks interesting to me to - I like the levels they have and it seems like an up to date blog and kinda fun - I will ask the guy I usually ride with at weekends if he feels like giving it a go. We normally do 40 to 50 mile rides but he is a real git and keeps taking me up and down the South down hills :cry:

It's either that or one near Catford
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Yeah, come along and have some fun guys.

Have been riding with TeamLEC for 18 months now. Started out as a 17st porker not being able to ride above 14mph for any distance of time to doing the Q10/26 TT Course at West Kingsdown in just under 28 mins at around 14st 8lbs. Cant tell you what the club has done for me.

Here's the proof with my before and after shots, in the TeamLEC jersey

525919_10151004173759859_1062495079_n.jpg

We're off to Box Hill this coming Sunday. Looking at around 80 miles in total. I wouldnt suggest you throw yourself in at the deep end first up, keep an eye on the ride calendar and come along on one of the shorter rides first.

Its very much a social club. There's a good few of us that train our ars*'s off but the majority just ride for fun and thats what the Sunday ride's are all about. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider so no one gets left behind. We also run a regular beginners course / fit camp club to help newbie's increase their confidence before coming out on some of the longer rides.

If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. I run the website too.

[I'll keep my thoughts about Dulwich Paragon to myself if you dont mind as I dont want to turn the air blue :wink:]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There are loads of clubs in SE London - Bigfoot CC, Norwood Paragon, GS Avanti to name a few... I used to have a list somewhere, not sure where I put it
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    As Headhuunter says, there are loads of clubs in SE London. You're best bet to find them all is the club finder on the British Cycling website :)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    [I'll keep my thoughts about Dulwich Paragon to myself if you dont mind as I dont want to turn the air blue :wink:]

Oh go on! I see loads of their riders round my way (hardly surprising considering I live near Dulwich) and they seem fine to me. I find it a little weird that they wear their DP gear all of the time, as though they have been indoctrinated into some kind of cult, but perhaps that's flawed perception (or maybe they just get their kit cheap).

I too would like to join a club one day, but Sunday riding is out for the time being given my job and my family life.

Congrats on the weight loss JohnBoy!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JohnBoyUK wrote:

Oh go on! I see loads of their riders round my way (hardly surprising considering I live near Dulwich) and they seem fine to me. I find it a little weird that they wear their DP gear all of the time, as though they have been indoctrinated into some kind of cult, but perhaps that's flawed perception (or maybe they just get their kit cheap).

I too would like to join a club one day, but Sunday riding is out for the time being given my job and my family life.

I don't think they all wear the kit, they have hundreds of members or at least hundreds of people turn up to their club rides and I would say that most of them don't even own the kit...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    They ride on Sunday which is a plus and not far from where I live on shooters hill, seems good to me, will look into it when I get home
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    JohnBoyUK wrote:

I don't think they all wear the kit, they have hundreds of members or at least hundreds of people turn up to their club rides and I would say that most of them don't even own the kit...

Probably stating the obvious, but if they weren't wearing their kit you wouldn't know they were Dulwich. I tend to wear mine for racing and sometimes for a club run (if I don't have a race coming up), otherwise I'll be in any old kit!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    BigMat wrote:
    JohnBoyUK wrote:

Probably stating the obvious, but if they weren't wearing their kit you wouldn't know they were Dulwich. I tend to wear mine for racing and sometimes for a club run (if I don't have a race coming up), otherwise I'll be in any old kit!

Hence my flawed perception comment.

Like I say, I usually get a friendly wave whenever I pass a DP rider, and although I can sympathise with newbies feeling a little intimidated by such things, I kind of like the idea of joining a club where the members will encourage me to push myself harder when out on a run.
  • jonomc4
    My sons go to schools in Dulwich - if I ever take them in I often see DP riders commuting to work in their club kit. All a little spooky to me :)
  • philclubman
    philclubman Posts: 229
    Limited Edition Cycling and Bigfoot CC are both are both great clubs. Now I've got the time, I'm going to sign up with Limited Edition; they're really friendly. Bigfoot is just too far from me, but great as your straight out onto lovely lanes.

Others to have a look at are Woolwich CC (who I've not ridden with, but they go out from Danson Park in Welling), and also Greenwich Tritons go out from the Blackheath Tea Hut. They're a triathlon club and like to train hard. Maybe not as social as the others. Good if you can only do Saturday mornings and like to get back early.

Hope this helps.

To the guys at LEC; looking forward to joining up soon and seeing you all.
    Phil (Blue Dawes Clubman)
  • I went out with the very welcoming guys from Meridian Cycling Club http://www.meridiancyclingclub.co.uk/ a while ago. An older demographic, but plenty fast enough, extremely friendly and a very experienced and well disciplined group resulting in no trouble with traffic, warnings and group re-shaping for cars and, importantly, always a great pub stop mid-ride where the different paced (and ride distance) groups would meet up. They tend to meet at Polhill Garden Centre or Shoreham Golf Club. Recommended!
  • Alan K
    Alan K Posts: 1
    Hi, London Clarion Cycle Club which is one of the oldest clubs in London have members all over London and often start rides in SE London. The club is part of the National Clarion Cycling club. More details at www.londonclarion.org.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Just started a club with some friends - Wilmington Velo, based in Wilmington/Dartford, we ride early on Sundays to allow for family time. Still a small group but anyone is welcome to join in. We’re a friendly bunch, no egos allowed!