am i really the odd of a shape!?

foo-fighter
foo-fighter Posts: 113
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
further to another post of mine about shorts and where the pad sits in them, over the last week or so i have been to a couple of bike shops in my area and have tried on various different shorts, and all seem to have the same problem that the padding isnt under my sit bones. staff in the shops are as baffled as i am. As a last dith attempt i tried ordering a pair of altura progel bibs as i read alot of reviews saying the the padding was well placed, well they have arrived and i have tried them on and yep padding is to far forward when standing up so as soon as i am on the saddle there is no padding where i need it. Can anyone give me ANY idea as to why this is, as im really seriously considering selling my road bike altogether. i did go out on my mountain bike with some friends sunday for around 4 hours and although the saddle is just as thin and vicious looking as the road bikes i did 4 hours with out any pain at all. I wasn't even in padded shorts, just a pair of cargo shorts. i have toyed with the idea of swapping the saddle between the bikes but that would very quickly become a pain. Both the mountain and road bike saddles are 10" in length but where the road bike saddle is only 5 " wide and curves down considerably at its widest point, the mountain bike saddle is 6" and flat at its widest point anyone know of a road bike saddle that sounds similar to my mountain bike one. Any help gratefully recieved.
thanks
Si

Comments

• beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    Why don't you just buy another one of your mountain bike saddles and put it on your road bike.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    that would be far too simple!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like the obvious solution.

So if we ignore that - I'd go buy the most expensive pair of Assos or Rapha shorts. Thats usually the best cycling solution - throw money at it !
  • foo-fighter
    if i could buy another saddle like the one on my road bike i would but unfortunately it is a carrera mountain bike and the saddle is just a stock one and i cant find one the same through halfords
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Best thing is to take the saddle to a few shops and compare shapes with what they have on stock and what they don't stock but are fitted to other bikes.

(and use the return key occasionally - it makes your post easier to read :) )
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    I've found that the pad will ride forward if the shorts are too big below the waist.

I'm not saying that this is the issue for you, but being overweight makes it much harder to find bibs that fit. When I was 2 stone heavier than I am now I simply could not get bib shorts to fit - bibs that fitted okay below the waist would be too tight over the top which would then pull up creating a huge moose foot/camel toe, or bibs that fitted better on top would be too big below the waist and the pad would ride forwards. I made do with non-bib shorts.

It's also possible that you don't need a pad. My latest pair of bibs have quite a thin pad and I feel as though I could do without that, to be honest.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Are you sure you've got your shorts on the right way around?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • foo-fighter
    thanks for the replys guys, oneof the first things i thought of was do i have the shorts on the right way round, i do have them the right way round so i guess that it is like slowondefy2 says, because i am a bit porky at the moment i will struggle with finding anythink that fits.