"General Purpose" Tyres: Cost v Weight v Speed v Durability

CakeLovinBeast
CakeLovinBeast Posts: 312
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I'm after a set of general purpose tyres for training/commuting/sportive-style riding. In a typical fit of indecisiveness, I don't really know what I want, other than I don't want to continue to use/abuse my Ultremos when I'm not racing as they cost too much to replace when they cut up.

What I would like is a decent mix of the qualities in the post title: Not too 'spensive, not too heavy (or at least, something that rolls relatively well) and with an element of puncture resistance. They don't need to be totally bombproof - with the best will in the world I'm prone to being a bit of a fair-weather cyclist, so as long as they're not made of soft cheese then I'm happy for some trade-off in the resistance/weight/speed areas.

What are people using that fit the bill? Conti 4000s seem to be mentioned a lot, but they cost nearly the same as my Ultremos... I'll drop the cash if they're really that much better, but given that I don't ever *need* to be fast on these tyres, then is there any real point in shelling out a load of money? I would rather buy once than buy cheap, however...
Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic

Comments

• yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Durano & Krylion
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Krylions
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Cheers folks
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    £21 and 220g. Good grip in the wet but also durable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... road-tyre/
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vittoria-Rubi ... 231bb455dc

These in a 25mm. Have used them on my commuter for past year. No complaints at all. Great seller as well, always tend to get them within two days.
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vittoria-Rubino-Road-Bike-Tyre-Rigid-700-x-25-Black-/150788658652?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item231bb455dc

These in a 25mm. Have used them on my commuter for past year. No complaints at all. Great seller as well, always tend to get them within two days.
    Seem to split opinion with their performance in the wet though... Any comments on that?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Rubino Pro's are good in the wet, I have used them in ice and snowy conditions too, not the rigid ones though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • No issues in the wet, they have a slight tread to the edge which helps on cornering I believe. Much prefer them to Gatorskins and Armadillos that I have used before. Even with the wire bead easy to get on and off.

Never going to be as quick as the GP4000s or Vredestreins I have. Then again they are more than half the price and a lot tougher.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Much prefer them to Gatorskins and Armadillos

Wouldn't note these two in the same sentence! Armadillos = bombproof but plain horrid to ride, Gators = good compromise, tough enough for grotty urban riding but only marginally worse riding (& 10g heavier...) than e.g. GP4000s.
  • Thanks for all of the advice/input.

I don't expect anything that's not a race tyre to be as grippy as a race tyre, so no worries on that front. Likewise, adding ~120g per wheel is not a massive issue - I can counter that by going to the toilet before I go out on the bike ;) These are going to be used for more casual riding, and I'm not going to be even attempting to lean the bike right over when I'm on them. I'm comfortable enough taking a slight gamble on the cheaper rubber and seeing how I get on.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rubino Pro's are only £15 from ribble each, incredible value I think.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    +1 - Rubino Pro 3's - perfect all round 3-season training tyres - £ 17 ish on Wiggle last time I checked.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino ... cher-tyre/

Better puncture resistance than the Michelin Pro Race 3's/UltremoZX - more supple and lively than the GP4000s/Durano's - very much a tyre in the middle of those four.