Reba RL 2011: oil and damping performance

WhipIt
WhipIt Posts: 52
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I serviced my 2011 Reba RLs for the first time recently; did the lowers and got carried away and did the damper and spring too, and de-spaced from 100mm to 120mm while I was at it.

I put 123ml of 5wt fork oil in the MoCo damper as per the SRAM manual. I used 5wt Yamalube (15wt Yamalube in the lowers). The forks now feel quite heavily damped on the downward stroke. This could be purely psychological, fork setup related, or oil related.

I have since read about cSt values but haven't found figures for Yamalube. So...

* Has anyone used Yamalube 5wt in a Reba?
* Does anyone know the cSt value?
* Any other reason the damping could be a bit heavy?
* Is 123ml the right amount of oil regardless of travel, or should I put more/less in since I gained 20mm travel?

It would be great to hear from anyone with experiences on this, cheers!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bit in the lowers is purely for lube purposes, does not do any damping.

The main damper oil levels remain the same.

Did you replace the o rings? Things may have to bed in again.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have you got the same pressure in them as before the work?

What position is the blue compression damping dial in?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I use Yamalube every time I service my forks, I've not had any adverse effects using it.
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses, sorry I've been delayed replying.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one using yamalube. I checked the lockout (pushloc) and it's definitely disengaged. I didn't replace the seals and the air pressure is similar to before... I might just need to tweak pressures to get what I'm after. I've yet to use the extra 20mm so I could probably stand to lose some air!

I'm more confident that I didn't screw something up now, so thanks again for the advice :)