Upgrade advice - Boardman Hybrid + Rock Shox

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Im a newbie when it comes to maintaining / upgrading bikes and would really appreciate some advice.

I have a 19" boardman team hybrid 2012 version, which is great, but im getting a race bike to use for my 24k daily commute due to the extra speed.

Id like a mountain bike as well, but rather than sell my fantastic hybrid, Id like to upgrade it with proper rock shox suspension & tyres.
Theres just so so many models and options, I dont know what is compatible, or what options would be the best for the bike.

I could go to a shop, but id much prefer to get an unbiased opinion from the knowledgable members that use bikeradar before doing anything else.

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could fit a suspension fork, but it will make the angles a little slacker - maybe not a bad thing (more stability, higher bottom bracket height). Something like a RockShox Reba RL with 80 or 100mm of travel would be ideal.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Wow, thanks for the quick response supersonic!
    Im just wondering if im trying to put a square peg in a round hole....

Im guessing the hybrid gearing wouldnt be perfect for general mountain biking which would add even more expense....would i just be better trying to sell the hybrid and go for a nice boardman MTB altogether??!