CTC - Worth Joining

buzzwold
buzzwold Posts: 197
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm contemplating signing up for CTC membership and wonder if anyone had any thoughts to share on the value of joining.

Ta

Buzzwold
Someone's just passed me again

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Worth it for the liability insurance and legal support if you are involved in an accident IMHO (or equally get BC membership instead).
  • pscyclist
    pscyclist Posts: 18
    Agree. Also most groups now have a range of rides of varying average speed and duration so you can usually find a group to ride with and progress, if you want. They do a lot of policy work and some lobbying for cyclists too.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    All I use it for is the insurance - but having had one off in the past when a car hit me, and even though the driver admitted fault to the police, his insurers were an absolute pain to deal with and I was glad I had British Tri's solicitors sort it out and get compensation for me.
    So I'd view CTC, or BC, membership a must for insurance alone.

There is a CTC magazine, which will be interesting if you want to read about campaigning or MTB'ing...
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Thanks for the input guys.

I notice that some of the events that they run require membership anyway.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    BC has a great website and regular members only email and info (articles etc) 8)
  • They're worth it for the insurance and the lobbying power. A million members gets you listened to, a hundred doesn't. Cycling's very popular now and the lobby group has considerable sway in government policy. You may not see the difference, but a new cycle path here and a new 'blue route' there starts creating a big shift and a noticeable difference in transport policy and real world change.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I was with CTC last year (and used them when I was knocked off, though they didnt give me anything any other "no win no fee" accident solicitor wouldnt have done had I gone directly).

This year I am with BC as I found the CTC newsletter crap and the website worse.

BC seems cheaper and much better.
  • BC Ride membership insurance doesn't cover you for timetrialing, the equivalent CTC membership does.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I cancelled my Cycling plus subscription (bored of repetitive articles trying to sell me expensive crap I dont need) and put the cash towards CTC membership instead.

I think most people get it for the 3rd party insurance but your LBS will also probably give you a discount, as do Wiggle / CTC shop so you may end up clawing some of the cash back. The mags okay too. If you ride any audax rides then you don't need to pay for insurance as CTC insurance will cover that.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I joined just for the insurance and legal advice. Seems worth it for that.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    essjaydee wrote:
    BC has a great website and regular members only email and info (articles etc) 8)

You've obviously never tried to use the event section its god awful.
  • Worth noting you can get £10 cashback from Quidco at the moment for joining British Cycling http://www.quidco.com/british-cycling/
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Worth noting you can get £10 cashback from Quidco at the moment for joining British Cycling http://www.quidco.com/british-cycling/

Arrrgggghhh - why didnt I check that a week ago...!

My one year ride membership, with £12 using code TForL and 10% off for paying by direct debit, which only cost £10.80 - would have only been 80p??? Wow, that WOULD have been good - especially as the BC membership already got me £10 off a Garmin at Halfords...
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    I'm in the CTC, primarily to support the campaigning side of things. The motoring loby is very well organised and funded that there needs to be an alternative voice. The touring advice, magazine and some sort of legal protection is a bonus.
  • apreading wrote:
    Worth noting you can get £10 cashback from Quidco at the moment for joining British Cycling http://www.quidco.com/british-cycling/

Arrrgggghhh - why didnt I check that a week ago...!

My one year ride membership, with £12 using code TForL and 10% off for paying by direct debit, which only cost £10.80 - would have only been 80p??? Wow, that WOULD have been good - especially as the BC membership already got me £10 off a Garmin at Halfords...

You wouldn't have been able to get away with using all the different discounts...
    Members should only use voucher codes listed on Quidco. If you use voucher codes or gift vouchers that are not listed on Quidco your cashback may not track or be declined.