Will this work ?

davehun
davehun Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I am converting an old(ish) orange into a tourer.
It has a full STX RC drivechain but its quite worn and needs as a minimum:
new fron chainrings, new chain and new block at the back.
These seem quite hard to find and a further problem once/if they have been found is that I would like to have drops with "proper" shifters.
From looking I think I can get away with a 10 speed shimarno cassete at the back and a new triple crankset at the front (providing its a square thread) with chorus leavers.
According to sheldon brown this should give me a 9 speed working system?
or if I swap the freehub a 10 speed at the back.

What I am not so sure about is the cranks at the front. I would if possible just replace the chainrings but although the smallest ring is available I can not find the middle or larger rings.

So what front chainset?
and will the rest of the system work ?

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    that sounds like a recipe for disaster! - for a start you cant use a 10spd cassette with 9 speed levers, the spacing is different + shimano and campag are different even in 9 speed.

To do a drop bar conversion doesn't have to be too expensive but if you try and cut too many corners you'll end up with an unsatisfactory setup that you'll curse.

The first thing you need to decide on is what type of shifters you want so by "proper" shifters do you mean downtube shifters, bar end or integrated brake / shift levers? Also chances are your front mech - if it's MTB type - won't work with the road levers so you'll also need a road mech.
  • davehun
    Ahh sorry should have made more clear.
    10 speed shifters and 10 speed cassete but if its fitted to a 7 speed free hub then one gear (smallest) is lost acording to sheldon brown.
    So I *think* that you end up with a 10 speed shifter and cassete but only 9 fitted so you have the pitch of a 10 speed but only 9 gears. I think that makes sense but I wasn't sure if my reading of sheldon was correct!

I am looking at integrated shifters like on my road bike. I have not used any other type.

The front mech is a mountain bike one and its a top pull.
    Happy to spend a bit more as long as everything works but I would rather not replace bits that don't need replacing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware sheldon is talking about shimano stuff there.

you will get 8 of 9 shimano cogs on that body but you will need shimano STIs.

your front mech will have issues with a big size chain ring (anything over about 46T or 44T).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davehun
    ahh ok that makes sense (max chain ring) I guess you can't just cheat by having a larger granny ring too and moving it up the seat post ?
    i.e.
    53/42/30
    instead of 44 36 22
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    your MTB mech will not work properly with road levers so it's a moot point and for a touring bike a 53t chainring is overkill, you're better off with an MTB or touring triple.