Chinese carbon frame + forks - am I crazy??

joejoe
joejoe Posts: 130
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I am on the search for a 29er frame and rigid forks. I have looked at various steel models. However, I have noticed these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29ER-Brand-Ne ... 1920wt_814

....part of me is thinking that it's a bargain probably made in the same factory as Giant etc and part of me is thinking that it will be second rate and fall apart after a few months/wet rides.

My question is has anyone seen/riden/heard anything about one of these frames? Any advice from those in the know would be great.

Joe

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    A few on here have tried similar ones before and have heard nothing but good reports.

I'm sure VWsurfbum will be along in a second to point you in the direction of flexy ( ;) ) where he bought his from.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Not those frames particularly, but I've seen quite a few threads where people have ridden cheap chinese carbon frames.
    Everyone seems to get along ok with them, although the geometry can differ a little from "the usual".

EDIT:
    One thiing though, carbon 29er rigid? No suss forks? You'll be growing a beard soon.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I had a 26" one, was good. As Yeehaa says the geometry was a little odd - short TT. I'd have another though.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    joejoe wrote:
    My question is has anyone seen/riden/heard anything about one of these frames? Any advice from those in the know would be great.

Joe
    as CWNT said, this is the man you want to ask viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12856085
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I was just told to have a shave :oops:

Anywhoo i have only had the HT rigid hippiemobile for a few weeks, and it is indeed very good.
    i dont have the problem with the top tube being too short but i would say i went for a 18" and i'm 5'10" and if i ordered another one i may of gone 19" :?

As to the build quality and ride quality, both are very good. I dont know why but it doesnt shake you around and bounce you off like a rigid should do. which i guess is good :wink:

Anywhooo if you have any questions just PM me or ask on my build thread.

Cheers

Ian
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • joejoe
    Thanks for opinions/ideas.....after having a read around I think I might stick to a steel frame build with carbon/steel forks. I love the look of this:

http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/inde ... swift.html

Anyone rode the singular swift? It looks great built up - traditional yet modern at the same time! I want to run it rigid but geared - shame its got a heavy EBB though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't know anything about it, but I just threw up a little in my mouth.
  • joejoe
    You no like? each to his own...looks stunning to me!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    It would benefit from a suspension fork.

and gears

and 26" wheels

and some suspension at the back

in carbon.

:lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    It would benefit from a suspension fork.

and gears

and 26" wheels

and some suspension at the back

in carbon.

:lol:
    this, those are hideous
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    /\ /\ + a big bag of potatoes :0
  • joejoe wrote:
    Thanks for opinions/ideas.....after having a read around I think I might stick to a steel frame build with carbon/steel forks. I love the look of this:

http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/inde ... swift.html

Anyone rode the singular swift? It looks great built up - traditional yet modern at the same time! I want to run it rigid but geared - shame its got a heavy EBB though.

Well plenty of people here will tell you to buy a bike on fit and spec, not on looks, so do what you want

Personally i don't like the looks, but i'm not buying it, looking at it or riding it.