Getting water out of the frame

Cup-o-fish
Cup-o-fish Posts: 15
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Like others on this forum, I've just discovered water inside my carbon frame (Ribble Sportive Bianco).

Has anyone got any good advice for getting it out..... and getting the inside dried out?

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Put it in the oven?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't worry, after a few days the places where it's collected should dissolve enough of the carbon to escape

Since it's nearly an hour and nobody's said it yet
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Remove your seatpost and tip it upside down
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ^ and maybe rotate it around a few times if you can hear water sloshing around but it's not coming out : tip it about so it can run through the tubes which are open and then drain.

Alternatively, is there a cable guide under the BB with a big screw or bolt holding it on ?
    - take that out and maybe it'll drain through that
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    And after you've got the water out put some silicone sealant round the seat tube - seatpost interface and also cover the clamping slot with it. This is the most likely place water gets in as it is thrown up from the tyre.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Try to direct water away from the head tube...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    There are drain holes at the end of the chainstays, stand the bike on the back wheel and it should drain out. As said earlier, most of the water gets in through the seatpost joint, it might be possible to waterproof that with a section of MTB inner tube and some zip ties. I have heard advice about drilling a drain hole under the BB, but that would take a braver man than me.