handle bars

cwbb
cwbb Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in Workshop
hi i was wondering if anyone has done this before i have been using a hybrid bike because of back problems but rather than buy a new road bike would it be easyer just to change handle bars then cutting out the expense of buying new bike,ive recently returned to cycling and was asvised to buy a hybrid [because of the back problems but now im gradually getting fitter and back is doing fine so far] ive always wanted to return to road bikes but wasent sure i just dont want to buy another bike only to end up not being able to use it so thats why i wondered about only changing the handlebars many thanks.....colin w. :D

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I had quite severe back problems and moved to flat bars for a year or so on doctor's advice, but I really hated them and decided, after talking to an osteopath, to return to drops. I've never had any troubles whatsoever and it has been seven years and many thousands of miles. I do have a slightly more upright position and use randonneur style drops which are designed for long rides and more comfortable wrist positions.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Depending on what type bike you have, the conversion may be quite simple.
    I changed the bars on my Giant Rapid from flat to drop-bar for about 18 months ago.
    Now I've bought a new road bike, I have reverted the hybrid back to flatbar so my daughter can use it as well.

If the brakes are caliper brakes, then all you may need is new gear/brake cables, sti levers and bar tape.
    If the brakes are v-brakes, then it becomes a bit complicated, as STI levers do not work so well with v-brakes. It takes some doing to get these to work.
  • cwbb
    cwbb Posts: 16
    hi lads thanks very much your answers they are very much appreciated ,i am going to test run a road bike and IF backs fine i will go ahead and buy a road bike i love my hybrid but always wanted to return to the road ,thanks again guys take care...col.