Beginner wants help :-(

JulieAnderson
JulieAnderson Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,
I'm Julie Anderson new to this forum. I'm not a cyclist but a fat girl. My friend suggested me cycling for weight loss. That is why I came here to learn about cycling. I want to ask you guys where should I start??? Please help me I have to loss my weight. Waiting for your replies.

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Cycling is a great way to lose weight and get fit. There are a number of people who blog on the net too to record and detail their cycling endeavours and weight loss. Google fat cyclist and you should find them which would be a good source of info and experience.

In terms of bikes decide what type of cycling you will be doing ie off road or on road and get yourself a bike to suit. Lots of people take up cycling, buy a mountain bike and then do all their cycling on road. Heavier bikes and big chunky tyres that makes it harder than it needs to be.

Other than that just get out and do it. Start with a small loop from home and then build distance and terrain over time. It may help to have a friend join you which can improve motivation. God luck, welcome to the forum and enjoy.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Hi Julie!
    I'd highly recommend you finding out if there's a 'Breeze' ride happening near you. They are women-only led rides, organised through British Cycling to get more women on bikes (people just like you, in fact!), and they're free to join. The emphasis is on beginners more than experienced cyclists (again, just like you!), and keeping the whole thing friendly and social.

Here's a link: http://www.goskyride.com/breeze

I got trained as a Breeze ride leader / champion only last Saturday, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them - just send me a personal message. I'm based in Brighton so would be happy to meet up if you're local ... but otherwise, use the Breeze website to find a Breeze champion local to you - she'll be more than happy to help you get on your bike and lose some of that weight.

Good luck!

Alison
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Find a good local bike shop who take you seriously. Dont buy mail order or from a box-shifting outfit. You will need advice on correct bike fit and on repairs. Good bike shops favour people who actually buy bikes from them.
    Choose a sensible bike of adequate quality, not a £99 full suspension wannabe MTB.
    Think about adopting a "bike powered lifestyle", using your bike for shopping, errands, social visits and commuting as well as leisure and fitness jaunts. This takes the will-power and decision out of exercise.
    Consider the money saved by not using cars, public transport, gyms or weight-loss regimes. Now consider that spend over 5 years. The savings mount up so dont underspend.
    Kit your bike out with the most puncture-resistant tyres you can find + useful accessories: luggage rack and pannier bags, mudguards, lock, lights, small repair kit, helmet, gloves, bright windproof jacket, breathable waterproofs.

Consider some instruction in bike handling and roadcraft. Almost all the dangers to cyclists are well known and easy to avoid if you know what to look for.

Join a club and go on some beginner rides.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Hi Julie,

This guy's blog is fairly inspirational. He started cycling weighing 39 stone and shows just what can be achieved if you have the desire to change: http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

My own single piece of advice is "don't give up". Starting any new exercise will feel difficult and harder than you imagined. The flip side of this is that starting from a lifestyle of little or no exercise / low fitness means you will see (often dramatic) improvements very quickly.

Best of luck,

Rob
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    As another fat woman who started cycling to loose weight I will say, cycling alone wont necessarily do it. You will need to watch your diet as well.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The best advice I think from above is to make the bike part of your daily routine. Making yourself getting all set up to go for exercise (though you will need to do these rides to build up your fitness) will make cycling too formal and you will do less - just use the bike to pop to the shops or friends etc. - that way, you will do many more miles (and also save time and money).

Getting a friend to ride with you will also help a lot - get some lessons if you are nervous, and eat less cycling cannot do it on it's own!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    there's good advice above

if you have any friends/colleagues who cycle, see if they'll come along to the shop with you to help with understanding/choosing

a non-cycling bit of advice: it's generally best to not use your real name on the interweb, so before posting more, it might be worth creating a new account with a more anonymous user name, like juliea, jgonecycling, hereiam, etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Hi Julie!

There's a lot of talk on these forums about diet, over fueling etc. If you're seriously overweight consider professional help (doc/nutritionist). I'm someone who is quite happy with their weight (a steady 10 stone and a statuesque 5 foot nothing) so I don't get on with alot of the ideas of over fueling and diet on here (that's not to say the forum isn't a brilliant source of support as there are a few folk struggling with their health and wellbeing).

In saying that, cycling is a brilliant source of endorphins and the world becomes a lot closer when you know that you can do 30 miles under your own steam.

Take things easy, a little every day is better than trying 40 miles once a week. Definately using your bike for errands and running about is a good place to start. If you have mates who cycle, have a go on theirs to see which is comfy for you and be easy on yourself - remember it's supposed to be fun!

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    sungod wrote:
    there's good advice above

if you have any friends/colleagues who cycle, see if they'll come along to the shop with you to help with understanding/choosing

a non-cycling bit of advice: it's generally best to not use your real name on the interweb, so before posting more, it might be worth creating a new account with a more anonymous user name, like juliea, jgonecycling, hereiam, etc.

cheers Sungod, I'll disappear now and come back with a suitable pseudonym!
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Hi,
    I'm Julie Anderson new to this forum. I'm not a cyclist but a fat girl. My friend suggested me cycling for weight loss. That is why I came here to learn about cycling. I want to ask you guys where should I start??? Please help me I have to loss my weight. Waiting for your replies.

Get on your bike and go for a ride :o)
  • Start off by just raising your heart rate for a while - 20 mins? See if you like this cycling thing. Have a ride where you're breathing heavily (not out of breath - you're going too fast/hard) for the whole ride.

If you think you can get used to this then keep doing it! You'll quickly notice you're going faster/further, however the breathing heavily thing never goes away. :(

If you find you're actually into cycling then join a group/club. Like many things, doing it in a group is so much better. Businesses like Evans Cycles and Sky (the TV people) do social runs for people of every ability - perhaps you should go and try on in your area?

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it

http://www.goskyride.com/

Oh - and start putting aside a ton of cash, 'cos if you do get bitten then you're going to find yourself spending a shed load of money on bicycle bits/kit/etc/etc :lol:
  • Hi Julie,

I am in a similar position. I am using cycling as part of my weight loss regime.

Here is my advice.

- You have to control your calorie intake - basically burn more calories than you eat. Don't worry. You have a bike now, so this bit is easy.
    - This stage is important. To help you measure how many calories you are taking on board sign up here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com. It's free. It's invaluable.
    - Use MyFitnessPal daily. Track everything you eat. Track all your exercise. Read the forums for support and advice.
    - If you want to eat some more. Do some cycling too. Burn some/all of the calories off.
    - Go on a decent bike ride (40 minutes) every day - if you are able. Go for an hour when you can. Sixty minutes of moderate cycling will burn 600 calories!!
    - Find traffic free routes. (google: Sustrans, if you are in the UK).

I am not a qualified dietician - this is just what worked for me. It is layman's advice. I guess you know your own circumstances best I hope some of this is useful.