Anybody else here interested in Endurance style road bikes ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Ive taken a real interest in those type bikes myself. Im real keen to source a size 54 (M) Specialized Roubaix or Secteur frameset to which id add componentry I already own. For me the overriding issue is height at the front end via a larger head tube. The thoroughbred race bikes with much smaller head tubes and geometry that place the rider in the flat back position are just too uncomfortable for me , and hence endurance style models catch my eye.With an endurance frame , the bike can offer terrific comfort for its rider, less demand on hip flexors and neck muscles and aesthetically ,the bike can still retain the classic bike look of handlebar stem fitted at a negative angle without introducing reach problems.....instead of the handlebar stem at an erection angle.

Im keeping a beedy eye out for a size M roubaix or secteur frame as I think it will offer everything I need framewise. The endurance type bikes will be massacred in a head to head with a bespoke race frame like a Tarmac, thats a total no brainer, but I think there is definitely a market emerging for riders like me who arent into the racing aspect of cycling, but still wish to have a nice bike on which they can rack up the miles at respectable pace.......but in a fair degree of comfort.

Are there any other members of this site to whom the prospect of owning an endurance type bike has been a very real possibility ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• I've seen loads of people riding endurance bikes. I ride a Giant Defy and find it very comfortable - I can keep up with other guys in the club who are riding more race oriantated bikes no problem.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the majority of road bikes being sold have the more relaxed 'sportive' geometry you prefer - have the people you see with race bikes have a stack of spacers under the stem anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW the majority of road bikes being sold have the more relaxed 'sportive' geometry you prefer - have the people you see with race bikes have a stack of spacers under the stem anyway.

Ive noticed that there appears to be an air of machismo that circulates around posters who readily advise other posters to MTFU and slam the stem without knowing a single thing about the health, flexibility and preferred riding style of the person asking the question. Ill be truthful in stating that it annoys me greatly. I tip my hat in the direction of those racers who have the physiology and flexibility to ride in the horizontal position, those people are athletes and their dedication to riding cannot be denied.I need a couple of spacers to lift my bars to a position in which I feel comfortable and have no need to dismount in order to get relief, it doesnt bother me and I cant envisage a situation where another cyclist would be dishing out insults over it. Ive such a jonesing for a roubaix or secteur frameset, what a great idea they are and im confident they offer cycle all day level of comfort.......the wait goes on until a size M comes up for sale.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Wazza1878
    Wazza1878 Posts: 59
    May i sing the relative praises of the C2C Bianchi series, very comfortable, great looking and all round good bike.
    My first ever road bike.
    Wazza