Wheel bearing advice needed asap

carbon337
carbon337 Posts: 414
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I picked up a used set of Wheelsmith Gigantex 50mm carbon clinchers on here today.

Novatec hubs I believe. Received them today and there is a good few mm of lateral play in rear wheel, noticed after i swapped tyres, cassette and brake pads over. Noticed whilst doing the pads actually.

Inspected the hub and discovered the non driveside bearings are totally shot. They say EZO 6901RU on them I think although hard to tell exactly - how do 6901RU differ from 6901-2RS or other 6901 bearings?

Will any 6901 bearings work 12x24x6 I believe from a quick google.

Will most bike shops stock this bearing size? I could do with them tomorrow if possible.

Comments

• carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Ah great thanks for that link.

Does this mean if i can get any 6901 for now they will work it will just be the closure/seal on them that would be different and that would affect longevity?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    carbon337 wrote:
    Ah great thanks for that link.

Does this mean if i can get any 6901 for now they will work it will just be the closure/seal on them that would be different and that would affect longevity?

Yes, and yes
    With a slight caveat as indicated on the link I sent but precis here
    On miniature bearings the width of the bearing can be different between an open and shielded configuration. Check the catalog dimensions carefully.