TDF Sales?????

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Ok so last year i saw loads of shops doing great deals whilst the TDF was on. Wiggle were advertising every 5 minutes during the TDF highlights on ITV so I assume the same will happen this year?

With money for a second bike burning a hole in my pocket where should i be looking and what make and model of bikes are likley to get reduced?

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    None! Worst time ever to get a bargain, supply and demand Innit. Lots of offers made to look better than they are, maybe the the odd deal but generally the bike industry can make a fortune off people so they do. Like tennis bats during Wimbledon.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    canyon and royles are both running specials during the tour, I expect there will be more
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    The best deals on all cycling stuff were a decade ago before cycling became popular...damn you johnny-come-latelys!! :P
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Your best bet for a really good deal is around September / October as bike shops will be looking to get rid of their 2012 models to free up some space fro the 2013 range.

As Prawny said, any "deals" you see during the TDF are likely to be suspect. e.g. bikes that have been overpriced now reduced by X % to appear like an awesome deal.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW shops start clearing slow-moving 2012 models from the end of August - but don't expect great deals on popular models and sizes, only the ones that don't sell. You tend to get the biggest discounts on the big brands - which goes to show they were overpriced anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    prawny wrote:
    None! Worst time ever to get a bargain, supply and demand Innit. Lots of offers made to look better than they are, maybe the the odd deal but generally the bike industry can make a fortune off people so they do. Like tennis bats during Wimbledon.

Yeah, like buying a cricket racquet when there's a Test on :D
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Kovert are doing some offers- new brand for 2012 and looks like some good reviews online. Ultegra Di2 group with carbon frame/wheels £2700.......

http://www.cyclepremier.com/product_inf ... ee3f842c5f