Merida Matts Pro-D Bike

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me anything about this bike. Need an idea of weight as well as specification. Many thanks

Seems good value:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/mountain-bikes/merida-mountain-bikes/merida-matts-pro-d-bike-2011-model-18-only.html

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, good value bike - fork is a clunker though, ripe for upgrading.
  • mickisup
    mickisup Posts: 295
    Thanks, is there a cheaper bike with Hydraulic brakes at this price point?
  • supersonic
    Not that I am aware of - with the 27 speed kit is good value, but as above, the fork has taken a hit.
  • Lemmy316
    Lemmy316 Posts: 15
    Supersonic,

I've been researching mountain bikes for a few weeks now and in doing so have consistently been directed, via google, to these forums, specifically comments by yourself. I've come to respect your opinions on bike matters even though I've been looking in on bikeradar from the outside until I registered just now.

I've just this evening bought one of these Merida Matts Pro-D Bike 2011 from Merlin Cycles and was pleased to see that you think it's a good deal, this reassures me a great deal. I'm new to the mountain biking so might not notice the rubbish forks to begin with and it's something that can be upgraded after time if I wish, like you say.

Cheers for sharing your wisdom.

Jim
  • supersonic
    The forks of that model I have used have had quite a bad top out 'clunk', are undamped (so get a bit bouncy), and the lockout is mechanical which poses a risk of damage if left unlocked over rough ground. There are better forks for the price - but also a lot worse, however very few bikes come with such a good spec elsewhere below £300.

Over lighter ground the fork will suffice, but if you plan to hit the rough stuff harder, I'd add a fork like a RockShox Recon TK (about £120). This would make the bike as good as many £800 models in my opinion, and for that reason is excellent value.
  • Lemmy316
    Aye, maybe sometime in the future. I'm not planning on any hitting any particularly rough stuff in the near future. I'm just trying to get into the bike riding at the moment and needed something better than the Raleigh dual suspension bike that someone gave to me. I'm considering doing the Whitehaven to Sunderland coast to coast ride later in the year, although if I don't feel ready for that I'm just going to do some weekend bike rides with my friend (he has a 2006 Rockhopper pro disc).
  • Bigun6767
    Bigun6767 Posts: 81
    I purchased the MATTS40 from merlin 12 months ago? I have now installed rock shox XC30tk forks (also from merlin)....what a difference..cheap too.
  • Lemmy316
    What difference have you noticed? What do you reckon to the bike - weight wise/brakes wise/manoeuvrability wise?
  • I just ordered one of these. Hopefully it'll perform as well as the specs suggest. Reading the odd review and the comments earlier, I imagine I'll probably not do anything particularly heavy with the suspension left at stock, but if I want to go on heavier trails I'll be saving for some new forks.
  • Bigun6767
    Bigun6767 Posts: 81
    Sorry for the late reply.The difference is in the reduction of weight of the front end and also the plush operation.Originally i thought the shocks were softer but they're just different/better.I can actually pull the front end up now over drops and increased confidence.I know they're not the most expensive,Rebas or Revs would have been nice, but for my budget they are spot on (especially as they have remote lock out...oh and they weigh less than Recon tk)
  • Lemmy316
    Had this bike for a few weeks now, it's great, I see what you mean by the fork clunking, especially when lock-out mode is on and you go over bumpy roads. It seems to do the job well enough for my needs for the moment.
    It's much nicer and easier to ride than my previous bikes, although I don't know how much that has to do with losing 4 stone since the last time I rode (I suspect a lot actually). The brakes are great, gear change smooth. Would recommend this bike to anyone who is looking to buy their first MTB.