Virgin cyclone (Northumberland)

2»

Comments

• rodgers73 wrote:
    Just looking at the photos from the event - pretty steep prices. Cheapest one is £9.00!

To copy & paste from a Facebook comment I made previously:

With the best will in the world (and speaking as a former photographer who managed to escape): You're not just paying for the file, or for the image on a bit of paper. You're also paying for professional photographers who have invested time, effort and money in their own development, who have their own bills to pay and families to feed back home. They have to turn up to these events and sit there all day, without a break. They have to pay for the insurance that they're required to carry, and to maintain the expensive equipment that allows them to cover these events. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the photographers ONLY income is based on the images that they sell, they may not actually have been paid for their time in being there on the day, so in that respect, £18 is not that expensive at all!

Sorry, rant over...
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    The goody bag is poor but I asked the lad giving out the gels if i could have some more. He said how many do i want - i replied loads so he gave me about 12.

Also got a recovery sample which will be handy for one ride. T shirts were better last year but virgin is all red comapred to northern rocks pink and black design.

I was happy enough with the pre-made sis drink and the geo bars were ok at the feed stations.

One day a feed station with something remotley resembling savoury food will be nice. Half a cheese sarnie would have been ideal at Wark.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Just looking at the photos from the event - pretty steep prices. Cheapest one is £9.00!

To copy & paste from a Facebook comment I made previously:

With the best will in the world (and speaking as a former photographer who managed to escape): You're not just paying for the file, or for the image on a bit of paper. You're also paying for professional photographers who have invested time, effort and money in their own development, who have their own bills to pay and families to feed back home. They have to turn up to these events and sit there all day, without a break. They have to pay for the insurance that they're required to carry, and to maintain the expensive equipment that allows them to cover these events. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the photographers ONLY income is based on the images that they sell, they may not actually have been paid for their time in being there on the day, so in that respect, £18 is not that expensive at all!

Sorry, rant over...

I'm used to sportive photographers as this wasn't my first event. I dont have a poblem with anything you've said there in terms of principle, but I have been offered pics from other sportives for much lower prices. Same quality of images but for about 50% less.
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    carbon337 wrote:

One day a feed station with something remotley resembling savoury food will be nice. Half a cheese sarnie would have been ideal at Wark.

Lol, I had a real hunger pang for something savory after Wark, I could have demolished a pizza.

And no, sorry, that wasn't me with the Parlee on the Friday afternoon at the sign on. I did get passed by a few Breeze lads, you's were going well. I thought I was going well until after Greenhaugh, just hit a wall on that extra climb before Bellingham. Got a second wnd after the Ryals though and got back in a good time.

Next year....!
  • issacforce
    issacforce Posts: 112
    hi jst thort i would mention this, have done both cyclone and ken laidlaw this year and there is only one winner and yes its the ken laidlaw, there are too many people on the cyclone, u cannot get past anybody once u get into small lanes and nobody will move over even if asked nicely, i know they have to pay for the racing to come to northumberland,thats why there are so many people.
    on the ken laidlaw there were plenty of marshalls that even stopped the traffic for u, the start was great everybody leaving at once, cars stopping for us as we went through town led by car, feedstops were the best ive had tea coffee sarnies cakes sweets drink wot more can u ask for, plus a big thank you to all the volunteers at the feeds they did a great job.well done everybody who was involved in the ken laidlaw, will i be back you bet i will roll on next year :D