Advice on new bike, it's a felt

Welshbaron
Welshbaron Posts: 10
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Evening all,

Would like to get our views on the following bike:

felt QX EQ 90D hybrid bike

Going to be using it to travel back and fore to work, interested to know about Felt build quality. This is the style of bike I like with mud guar and built in lights.

What are your thoughts? Or possible similar bikes?

Many thanks in advance :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you have a link to the model in question?
  • supersonic
    For 1000 Euros the spec looks pretty poor in my opinion - also looks heavy - do you need suspension (or disc brakes)? And is the built in light a must? With great value LEDs on the market, a standalone light is a good option and will get the price and weight down.

What shops are available to you?
  • Welshbaron
    I was looking at the bikes with everything on them, liked the idea of built in lights, but don't need them. The other bikes I was looking at is the Cube Delhi, link below:

http://www.cube.eu/en/tour/gts/delhi/

I want a bike with mud guards that come as standard as they look much better, after market ones just don't seem to look as nice?

I'm getting the bike with the cycle2work scheme so have to use Halfords, but they will order any bike, £1000 is my top limit.

Thanks again
  • supersonic
    15kg is astonishly heavy for the money - granted the racks and dynamo add a bit, but there are much lighter (and better equipped) alternatives.

I'd look at something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#tab2

Then get Halfords to fit some guards and stuff (though rack choice might be limited because of the disc brakes). With various on offer, they should be as good quality, if not better than original fit equipment. The carbon fork is good at absorbing vibrations. Overall a fast, highly specced bike that is lightweight and adaptable.
  • Welshbaron
    I want a more up right sitting position, read that boardman has a forward ride position, like a road bike, that's why I've not looked at it in depth.
  • supersonic
    I think the best bet for now would be to visit a Halfords and have a sit on one (and others) - don't be afraid of getting what seems a 'smaller' size than usual - by putting the seat up you will be in the same position, but closer to the bars due to the top tube being shorter. The Small Boardman has a shorter top tube than the 50cm Cube for example.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    15kg or 33lbs is not too bad for a fully equipped bike. I would loose the suspension forks and maybe the bike stand but the other stuff is really useful. Its a decent bike for city riding.
    Personally i like disc brakes for all-weather riding and dynamo lights are powerful, reliable and convenient. You can't drop, loose or forget to charge them.
    For aftermarket mudguards, SKS chromoplastic are the best and look good if you fit them correctly.
    Chainguards are not really a UK thing and are almost impossible to buy as accessories.
    Aftermarket dynamo systems are expensive, but I consider them worthwhile.