Verderers Trail FOD

bigman1976
bigman1976 Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in Routes
Being a born-again mountain biker (used to ride a lot when I was a teenager - now mid 30s) I have recently purchased a new Specialized Rockhopper with Rockshox Recount Silvers.

To christen my new mount, I went to the Forest of Dean and found the Verderers trail which I have to say was hard work (are the hills really that much steeper!?) but great fun. The downhill stretch at the end was awesome and a fantastic way to finish the ride.

The bike itself performed admirably. Not sure the tyres are the best (Specialized The Captain Sports) but the rest is good. The brakes are a complete revelation. My last bike - 1996 GT Pantera - had cantilevers! Did have one hairy moment when one of the grips tried to make a brake from the handlebars but apart from that, the burning in my lungs and legs, the saddle-soreness, the mud in my teeth and other assorted aches, it was fantastic. Don't know why I stopped riding.

Apologies to anyone else on here who I held up when wheezing slowly up any of the inclines!

Comments

• I took my 10yr old up there a few weeks back for the first time, before all the rain !, and we had a great time too. The fact that the climbs aren't too long and are mixed in with level or slightly downhill sections kept his interest. It's a great trail and the option to switch across to red sections in places adds interest to those more adept.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah Verderers is a lot of fun for a wide range of abilities, good going on getting out there. Be warned though it's actually a fairly flat trail and the climbs are pretty gentle and short, you'll get a shock at Cwmcarn - still a few more rides to improve your fitness and you'll be good to go.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Get some lockon grips.
  • bigman1976
    bigman1976 Posts: 29
    nferrar wrote:
    Yeah Verderers is a lot of fun for a wide range of abilities, good going on getting out there. Be warned though it's actually a fairly flat trail and the climbs are pretty gentle and short, you'll get a shock at Cwmcarn - still a few more rides to improve your fitness and you'll be good to go.

I think Cwmcarn may have to wait by the sounds of things! It was nice to get out on a decent waymarked trail though. I used to cycle on Exmoor when I was a youth and that was a case of following bridleways and studying maps intently.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    bigman1976 wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

I think Cwmcarn may have to wait by the sounds of things! It was nice to get out on a decent waymarked trail though. I used to cycle on Exmoor when I was a youth and that was a case of following bridleways and studying maps intently.

FoD is a great trail, i rode it in january after not riding a lot for a good 3 months and i was knackered, had to stop on some parts and catch my breath but it was a blast, i'm riding 3 or 4 times a week now and flying around FoD. It's not as technical as some of the other trail centres but still great fun :D

the new green trail at afan is supposed to be good aswell, short and pretty easy but good fun apparently, ashton court in bristol is supposed to be similar aswell with little climbing
  • It is a good route i ride it twice a week but nothing like Cannock or Afan the course was designed as an entry level trail to encourage people into the sport