Can anyone help on tyre rotation?

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks

My dad bought a bike a few days ago second hand but in really good condition, its nothing special but im wondering if the tyres are on the wrong way. Its very squirmy when riding but before i strip it down for him could anyone help?

The photo is looking from standing over the bike looking down at the front wheel.

Cheers

img1496cq.jpg

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    it should say on the side walls
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are those penguins?
    No directional arrows on the sidewall?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have no idea what model they are as he sent me the photo but last time i looked there was no visible sign of a rotation arrow as there normally is :(

I can find out the brand if this helps?

Thanks
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It won't matter much anyway. Some knobbly tyres are more squirmy than others. Some riders switch tyre roation for different conditions.
    Don't worry about it.

By the way, when CD was asking if they were penguins, I believe he was referring to the shapes in the tread, not the brand of tyre.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yup, penguins. Some seem to be decapitated.

For directional stability I would have 'arrow' shapes running forwards, so they might be back to front but I tend to agree it probably won't make much difference. They look like more gaps than tread if that makes sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cheers for the replies.

Ill see how he gets on.

Im a roadie so dont have to deal with such simple things such as tread patterns and stuff haha!
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    ^^^ you said it we were just thinking it LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    By the way, when CD was asking if they were penguins, I believe he was referring to the shapes in the tread, not the brand of tyre.

:lol::lol: 2.4" Black & White Chilly (brrrrrr) Mountain Penguins...where do I sign up!!??
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi folks

My dad bought a bike a few days ago second hand but in really good condition, its nothing special but im wondering if the tyres are on the wrong way. Its very squirmy when riding but before i strip it down for him could anyone help?

The photo is looking from standing over the bike looking down at the front wheel.

Cheers

img1496cq.jpg

I would have them the other way round just because the patten would "squeeze" anything to the center as the outer part of the tread would contact the ground first.
    not that i would think it would make much difference as those side knobs look squirlly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown