Road Bike Sizing

samhedges
samhedges Posts: 83
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I've been saving up for a while after having been a mountain biker for a few years and decided to buy a new road bike. I went to this shop near where I live as they had a Specialized Allez Elite for only 600 quid! But having long legs and a shorter body I was told by a rather hard-selling sales-person that the reach was too long and it would damage my back in the long run.

I'd just like to see if this is the case or whether for some reason he didn't want to sell it. I'm 5'10" with 35" inside leg but for more details I entered my measurements in a sizing calculator and they can be seen here: http://ScrnSht.com/htxqpb. I'd just like a second opinion (or more) so any input would be much appreciated.

The bike was a 56cm frame and the chap said we could try shorter stem and bars but it still wouldn't lessen the reach enough. The saddle had to sit far back so that my knees were over the pedals. If you need any other information just ask, cheers!

Comments

• samhedges
    If that's too lengthy, I have a long lower body, short upper so would my proportions be wrong for a specialized?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I am 5' 10" and have a 32" inside leg, I had a 56cm sectuer and even with a stem it never felt that comfy, I had a go on my mates 54cm roubaix and it just felt better, you can adjust for inside leg with the seat post the reach for me is not easy to adjust even with stems so I would always go for reach and then adjust the saddle for your height
  • samhedges
    My inside leg is something like 35-36 so the saddle has to go quite far back to get my knee over my toe. I can't really afford the likes of Roubaix, do you know of brands that will accomodate long legs but short reach? Thanks!
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    You don't really have the right proportions for an Allez unles you are able to cope with the large drop to bars going for a 54 for e.g.

Why not look at a secteur? Same geo as the roubaix.
  • samhedges
    What about other bike brands? Are some more orientated towards my leggy build? How likely is the secteur to fit me considering the Allez felt fairly uncomfortable? Is there much difference?
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    'I was told by a rather hard-selling sales-person that the reach was too long and it would damage my back in the long run.

I'd just like to see if this is the case or whether for some reason he didn't want to sell it'

Usually people complain that staff are all too eager to sell bikes that don't fit to people! I am 6 foot and have 33.5 inch (to floor) inside leg and ride a 57. The 56 Allez sounds like you would have a long (for your upper body length) reach and a massive drop to the bars. Especially since the Allez has quite an aggressive geometry.

I would have thought one of the new 'sportive' type frames with shorter reach and longer head tubes would suit your body type more. Hence the other poster suggesting a secteur which meets those requirements.

There are plenty of bikes that are shorter in reach (e.g. Cannondale Synapse, Ribble sportive, Giant Defy), in fact the Allez is unusual at having a racing geometry at the cheaper end of the market.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You must be going for the world record number of different threads for a single topic! :wink:

Road Bike Sizing
    Waiting Times
    Buying online vs LBS
    Giant Specialized or Ribble
    Giant Defy 4 vs 3
    Reach Problems
    Advice for a noob
    Specialized Allez Elite

This could well be a forum record - eight threads for a single bike purchase and it's yet to be made!

As for the advice - as said on some other of your duplicate threads - your proportions are unusual so you won't fit every bike. The salesman is just trying not to let you buy a bike that won't fit you. A bargain bike isn't a bargain at any price unless it fits you (assuming you actually want to ride it anyway!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I'm relatively leggy. 5'8" with 32-34" leg length (different jeans fit better with different leg lengths in this range). I have a Giant Defy in the M, which I think is around 50cm. For me it is a little too long but going to a smaller frame size also means the stock crank arms are shorter, which wouldn't suit me. I think a shorter stem may help but I've used it for well over a year and not suffered any problems other than a sore backside, which I attributed to me sliding forward to get a better reach.
  • samhedges
    Rolf F wrote:
    This could well be a forum record - eight threads for a single bike purchase and it's yet to be made!

Now I feel embarrassed :oops: