Strange Bike

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Spotted in the company car park this morning.

Cannondale hybrid. Nothing too unusual.
Fixed wheel. Nothing too unusual.
Front disc brakes. Nothing too unusual.
Rear disc brakes. ???????

Why?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I saw the opposite last week on the NKR. Looked like a bog-standard track bike (no rear or front brake) until the guy stopped pedalling and the freewheel kicked in :shock:

I followed him for a bit (too curious just to ride past), and he eventually stopped with his foot on the back wheel, BMX-style...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I missed the 'fixed' bit on first and second read......d'oh!

Was thinking "WTF is he on about?"
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • daviesee
    Maybe it'll be clearer now you've picked it out :wink:

I even gave it a sneaky lift at the back up to give it a spin to check it wasn't a free wheel.
    Nope. Fixed.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I quite fancy an SS with hydraulic disks - anyone know of any STI / Aero levers for hydraulic brakes?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I quite fancy an SS with hydraulic disks - anyone know of any STI / Aero levers for hydraulic brakes?
    There aren't any yet, you have to get a cable->hydraulic converter; they're quite pricey though, developed for cross.

I have cable-activated Avid BB7s which aren't bad, and work with Shimano/SRAM (and quite possibly Campag too). The whole setup is noticeably heavier than cantis though...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daviesee
    TGOTB wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    There aren't any yet, you have to get a cable->hydraulic converter; they're quite pricey though, developed for cross.

I have cable-activated Avid BB7s which aren't bad, and work with Shimano/SRAM (and quite possibly Campag too). The whole setup is noticeably heavier than cantis though...
    But are they smooth shifting? :wink:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    daviesee wrote:
    Spotted in the company car park this morning.

Cannondale hybrid. Nothing too unusual.
    Fixed wheel. Nothing too unusual.
    Front disc brakes. Nothing too unusual.
    Rear disc brakes. ???????

Why?

for the same reason, folks have two brakes, on a fixed.

which is even on the rear a good brake is a good idea.
  • daviesee
    I would have thought that a disc on the front and pedal controlled rear breaking would have sufficed.
    Maybe some people prefer belts and braces :wink:
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    TGOTB wrote:
    I followed him for a bit (too curious just to ride past), and he eventually stopped with his foot on the back wheel, BMX-style...

Best brakes ever, beats discs hand down! :D

Shoe makers just need to come up with clipless shoes with a brake compound built into the sole, then I can be a weight weenie and remove my brakes to save myself 300g. :roll: How do I patent this?
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Might have been flipping and flopping no?:P
  • ooooh, what Hub, I am looking to sort this on my cotic but only Surly or Paul make hubs which are very pricy, i've found one screw on adaptor but that just looks dangerous.

Why, one brake is fine if you ride a egg beater gear hoxton fakenger rig, if you have a proper gear on your fixed stopping with just leg power is pretty difficult.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ooooh, what Hub, I am looking to sort this on my cotic but only Surly or Paul make hubs which are very pricy, i've found one screw on adaptor but that just looks dangerous.

Why, one brake is fine if you ride a egg beater gear hoxton fakenger rig, if you have a proper gear on your fixed stopping with just leg power is pretty difficult.

Define a proper gear.

Also, it depends how powerful your legs are.

Most of you're braking force comes from the front brake anyway. If you slam on both brakes in an emergency, the rear will unweight and you have to shift your body to keep the rear down (which you would do anyway to prevent yourself from doing a Superman impression).
    As soon as the rear wheel is airbourne, it is doing nothing to stop you, so is redundant.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rebs wrote:
    how? there is a disc there!

may have been a SS and he has gone fixed on it though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm quite fond of having two brakes on my fixie, leg braking at high speed downhill is tricky, I'm trying my best not to let my feet overtake my knees and mangle me !

I have been looking quite seriously at the option of a disc brake on the front...
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have been looking quite seriously at the option of a disc brake on the front...
    Same here.

• nicklouse
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Same here.
    avid BB7 road. doable now and has been for some time. are there suitable forks yet?

or are you wanting the hydros that should be out soon.

I think with the electronc shifters out now i think you will see a lot of the brake makers doing suitable levers and sets. Formula will be there soon.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • daviesee
    nicklouse wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Most likely answer I think now you mention it.
  • EKE_38BPM
    daviesee wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Most likely answer I think now you mention it.

That would mean there is no lockring on the sprocket. I suppose if it is a SS conversion and there is no lockring you would need a rear brake because if you leg brake you could loosen the sprocket and unscrew it from the hub.
    Have a look for a lockring to confirm.

• nicklouse
    living dangerously...

do surly do a fixed disc hub?
  • daviesee
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Have a look for a lockring to confirm.
    It's only made an appearance twice in the past 10 months so it could be a while and I have no clue who the owner is. Unfortunately, or I would simply ask. :wink:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    nicklouse wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Same here.
    avid BB7 road. doable now and has been for some time. are there suitable forks yet?

or are you wanting the hydros that should be out soon.

I think with the electronc shifters out now i think you will see a lot of the brake makers doing suitable levers and sets. Formula will be there soon.

Mine's a Pompino, so a Pompetamine disc fork would just fit right in -- unfortunately they don't make them in brown so I'd need to get it painted. I'd stick with cable disc for versatility and ease of fixing. I may well still do this before winter, I haven't done it yet as I was trying Koolstops to see if they were all they're cracked up to be. They aren't.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Hub supliers: Yes Surly and Paul.
    Disc and Electronic: Colnago C59
    Road Disc fork: just out by ENVE, else mainly they're cyclocross forks and a fair few are on the market now
    Proper gear: at least 80 GI
    Available Hydro Levers: Formula (only on a C59)
    Coming soon: Shimano/Sram/TRP

If interested in road discs have a browse of weightweenies and bikerumor
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Hub supliers: Yes Surly and Paul.
    Road Disc fork: just out by ENVE, else mainly they're cyclocross forks and a fair few are on the market now

I ride a proper gear (81.9"). Yay!

In all seriousness, I'm thinking about going higher. I can get up Bromley Hill seated yet still get off from the lights pretty sharpish. I'm thinking 52x16 (87") may be too big a jump, but I like the look of the 52T ring so don't want to go to something like 42x13 (86.5").

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm thinking about going higher. I can get up Bromley Hill seated yet still get off from the lights pretty sharpish. I'm thinking 52x16 (87") may be too big a jump, but I like the look of the 52T ring so don't want to go to something like 42x13 (86.5").

What, you don't ride that spinny little Vitamin gear that that you were on at the Morpeth that time? That's a crying shame, it was extremely entertaining watching you try and maintain mid 20s at 150rpm :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

What, you don't ride that spinny little Vitamin gear that that you were on at the Morpeth that time? That's a crying shame, it was extremely entertaining watching you try and maintain mid 20s at 150rpm :lol:

That was a killer! Anyone trying to ride fixed in that gear would have their legs ripped from their torso at anything higher than walking pace.
    I do like that bike in a big BMX, chuck it around and not care about it kind of way, but was hardly geared for speed. Since that comical ride, I've fitted a smaller freewheel as the original one wore out quicker than a piece of cheese shoved up against a sanding disc, so it's a bit faster now, but hills are surprisingly hard as it weighs more than the hills I tried to ride it up.