Rebound adjustment on Suntour Epicon?...

goldeneyedmonkey
goldeneyedmonkey Posts: 66
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I'm trying to fettle the suspension on my Fury, but I can't figure out how to adjust the rebound on them? See the images below, what am I looking at there? Is there just a mahooosive amount of muck in there or do I grasp that little knob with something and turn? I don't want to force anything, what trick am I missing here? :)

IMG_20120615_105901.jpg
IMG_20120615_105854.jpg

Cheers in advance. _Dan

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Looks like something is missing
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you are missing the adjuster or most of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, adjuster has fallen out. Try a 3mm allen key in there, or a 2.5mm.
  • Great! What am I actually changing inside the fork when adjusting the rebound? -just so I can understand the process.

That metal fitment is press fit so I'm not messing with that, but that little knob with flats on inside is what needs to be turned, some long nose plies should be able to get a purchase hopefully.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Cheers _Dan.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, what ever is inside the bolt - usually another allen key head though. Could be up to two full turns.
  • supersonic wrote:

Don't get ya mate? There's nowhere there for an allen key to fit in, that little bit is proud of the black surface. There is a place for an allen key (5mm by the looks of it) on the other leg of the fork, has that sticker been put on on the wrong side? If not what's that for?
  • sorry, our posts keeps crossing
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:

Don't get ya mate? There's nowhere there for an allen key to fit in, that little bit is proud of the black surface. There is a place for an allen key (5mm by the looks of it) on the other leg of the fork, has that sticker been put on on the wrong side? If not what's that for?

that could just be the remains of the aduster that has been broken off.

But what version of the Epicon is it?
    year and version.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Correct, that is the remains of the adjuster, I've only just discovered this as some of it has sheared off and the rest has retracted. But I can get an allen key in now, so I've got adjustment. (thumbs up)

It's an '09 Carrera Fury. Looks like some kind of red epoxy or similar, see below:
    IMG_9395.jpg

I may glue in the end of an allen key or something?

Cheers _Dan
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Mine broke off - I had the following email from a guy at Greyville;

The Epicon fork has been made for a number of years now. The 2011 model has a red rebound adjuster underneath the fork. We have these in stock at £5.95.

An older model had a red adjuster on top of the crown. These are no longer available but you can still adjust the fork with a 4mm allen key.

We can supply the current model on 01543 251328.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • supersonic
    The adjuster press fits with an o ring around the main allen bolt (and incorporates another key that slots into the hex fitting on the rebound shaft). They are a bugger for falling off!
  • Oh well, I only paid £200 (+ a few repairs and upgrades) so I can't really complain! :D As long as I've got some adjustment back I'm happy. Contemplating putting them at 140mm instead of 120mm, wondering how easy this is, and if anyone's done it?

Might even get a Joplin4 @ some point.

You are a helpful bunch, cheers all. _Dan
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    My Boardman Comp came without the red adjuster knob fitted, Halfords gave me a replacement for free. Then the other day the whole adjuster (including the silver bit) dropped out on Follow the Dog, again Halfords fitted a new one for free. I must admit the bike is still under warranty but you could try going into Halfords to see if they have any in their box of spares.

To be honest, the rebound adjuster in the Epicon does have a habit of falling out on rough terrain and where it is is rather prone to breakages due to knocks.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    ElliesDad wrote:
    My Boardman Comp came without the red adjuster knob fitted, Halfords gave me a replacement for free. Then the other day the whole adjuster (including the silver bit) dropped out on Follow the Dog, again Halfords fitted a new one for free. I must admit the bike is still under warranty but you could try going into Halfords to see if they have any in their box of spares.

To be honest, the rebound adjuster in the Epicon does have a habit of falling out on rough terrain and where it is is rather prone to breakages due to knocks.

See viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12608892 . Rockshox forks do it as well.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Greer_ wrote:
    ElliesDad wrote:

See viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12608892 . Rockshox forks do it as well.

Such a simple idea, never thought of that. Thanks!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2