Garmin 705

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Should I buy one? I keep getting lost on my rides and OS maps are really a pain in the arse. I can pick one up for about £180 which is a lot less than the 800. There must be a catch...

Comments

• Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I believe they've stopped making the 705- so they're an obsolte item. Cheap enough to use for a couple of years but the support from Garmin may not last forever when things eventually go wrong.

The Edge 800 is £254 or something at hentec without any maps. Then install the free OSM maps (have a look in the bargains spotted thread a couple of weeks ago for how to's) they'e pretty good- not as comprehensive as the full OS1:50k maps but perfect for road riding.

And its touchscreen mmmmmm
  • welkman
    Can I use the osm maps for the 705 as well?
  • welkman wrote:
    Should I buy one? I keep getting lost on my rides and OS maps are really a pain in the ars*. I can pick one up for about £180 which is a lot less than the 800. There must be a catch...
    I used to quite like getting lost. OK sometimes you end up on a dual carriageway but sometimes you find some nice little lanes.

Back on-topic, I have a 705. The display is prety crude by modern standards but it can get you out of a hole. Don't expect to be able to ride along looking at perfectly detailed maps. You can, of course, plan a ride with one of the online thingies then download it into the Garmin. I strongly advise turning the alert beep off before you do this because it will tell you you're off course by 50 feet all the time and you should turn around.
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Think you can use OSM yeah, but it sounds like more faff than on the 800. you can also buy garmin city navigator (don't le tthe title fool you its not just cities) maps on SD card for £30 or something.
  • welkman
    I am finding the trouble is that there is loads of beautiful little riding roads and lanes around here that feature prominently on all the local sportives and club rides but if I try and plan my own route I am spending more time by the side of the road reading a map than I am riding, so I am stuck to the same 3 or 4 routes on the larger roads. I was hoping that the garmin would be good enough for me to plan a route, upload and then ride with directions. Maybe that is not so.
  • welkman wrote:
    I am finding the trouble is that there is loads of beautiful little riding roads and lanes around here that feature prominently on all the local sportives and club rides but if I try and plan my own route I am spending more time by the side of the road reading a map than I am riding, so I am stuck to the same 3 or 4 routes on the larger roads. I was hoping that the garmin would be good enough for me to plan a route, upload and then ride with directions. Maybe that is not so.
    I think it should be but with the caveats I outlined above.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    welkman wrote:
    Maybe that is not so.
    I use it as you want, and with no caveats.

I use bikeroutetoaster to plan a route and upload it as a gpx file.
    Cue the flame*.

Garmin settings -
    Map
    Detail - Normal
    Orientation - Track Up
    Auto Zoom - Off
    Lock on Road - Off

Routing
    Calculate routes for - "Car/Motorcycle" - If I want to get a route somewhere on the fly.
    Follow Road Method - "Prompted".
    Recalculate - "Automatic".
    Avoid - All of Unpaved Roads, Highways, Toll Roads & U-Turns.

*Previous experience of these threads tells me that others are going to contradict this but what can I say?
    This method has worked for me for years.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • welkman
    I am edging closer to the buy button ! Can you use it for walking as well ? Can you get it to give you lat/lon and sog?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    welkman wrote:
    I am edging closer to the buy button ! Can you use it for walking as well ? Can you get it to give you lat/lon and sog?
    Pass.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    daviesee wrote:
    welkman wrote:
    Pass.

This makes mention of lat/long http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Aw&cad=rja
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    daviesee wrote:
    welkman wrote:
    Pass.

Yes, you can get grid coordinates to place yourself on an OS Map. Got me out of difficulties once or twice.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Consider an Etrex 20? I have one, like it a lot. Under £150 as well
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono