Upgrade Tyres Suggestions From OEM...

Eyeballs
Eyeballs Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon!

I've had a quick search (And I know this topic will have come up many times before!) but I'd like some feedback on which way to go for my first upgrade of the rubbers.

I've got a Cube LTD Comp (2011) and its come with some Schwalbe OEM Rapid Robs. I've done Dalby with them, Sherwood & Gisburn - But i'm finding in the wet/mud they aren't exactly confidence inspiring!

In the week i do abuse them on the roads, so i'll keep them for that - but with a planned trip to Dalby this weekend - i'm feeling the need to get some better boots under me!

I'm torn between:

Continental Mountain King Mark II, Schwalbe Hans Dampf (PaceStar) & Kenda Nevegal.

I'm looking for a good 'do it all' set, but im coming here asking for your help & advice.

Thanks!!

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Continental Mountain Kings II (black chilli version) are either mind-blowingly good, or terrible, depending on the terrain.
    However, I never got on with Nevegals at all, they were the bane of my riding for quite some time.

A lot of people tell me that Maxxis ignitors are a great all-round tyre. Never excelling at anything, but never really letting you down either. If it was my money, and I wanted a dependable tyre, I'd certainly give them a shout.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Continental Mountain Kings II (black chilli version) are either mind-blowingly good, or terrible, depending on the terrain.
    However, I never got on with Nevegals at all, they were the bane of my riding for quite some time.

A lot of people tell me that Maxxis ignitors are a great all-round tyre. Never excelling at anything, but never really letting you down either. If it was my money, and I wanted a dependable tyre, I'd certainly give them a shout.

What sort of terrain are they terrible on? Was considering a set of these. My routes tend to cover plenty of terrain changes but mostly rocky stuff. Don't ride trail centres much.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The only place I've found them lacking so far is Llandegla, in the wet. The slimy bedrock there was like ice with them.
    Literally everywhere else I've been last year, they've been great, in particular on natural "trails" in Snowdonia, where they really excel, and grip tenaciously even in some improbable places. They've made the unclimable, climable.

However, some other forum members (Northwind springs to mind), have had nowt but crap from them.
  • Eyeballs
    Eyeballs Posts: 22
    Thanks for the feedback, will do a bit more lurking as I can see a lot of topics very similar!