BB Trouble help

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to replace BB and atm i unable to get the cranks off :(

Took the star nut off ect and used mallet to push the sindle through but the cranks are only 3/4 off and the rest isnt moving out of the frame, it just seems like it is stuck .

BB is a holllowtec one,

never had this issue before as cranks useally just come clean off but atm they wont move anymore than 3/4, any ideas???? WD40 maybe?
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Trying to replace BB and atm i unable to get the cranks off :(

Took the star nut off ect and used mallet to push the sindle through but the cranks are only 3/4 off and the rest isnt moving out of the frame, it just seems like it is stuck .

BB is a holllowtec one,

never had this issue before as cranks useally just come clean off but atm they wont move anymore than 3/4, any ideas???? WD40 maybe?

a HT1 or an HT2?

star nut? they are in the headset.

If it is an HT2 and you have undone the pinch bolts and flipped the spacer up and removed the preload bolt and arm just pull. may need some force. or tap the arm with a rubber mallet.

Pulling normally works.

If an HT1 version you need crank pullers or use the self extracting bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just keep pulling, might have to push it back in a bit then give it a good yank.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Just keep pulling, might have to push it back in a bit then give it a good yank.

H2 Bassically i used WD40 around the old BB and on the spindle, tbh the old BB dust covers were seized onto the spindle so this was stoppind me pulling it out, in the end WD40 and a lot of F&^%$ and swearing and it came out :lol:

new BB installed and looking good so far.......though il be back on here if it isnt ofc :P
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Grease the axle before you leave it in this time.