Bike choice for new road rider

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I have recently got back into riding,I bought a Claude butler urban 300 hybrid last November on a bike to work scheme,but now want to step up to a road bike., with that much choice I could do with some help please,my own thoughts are do I spend lot money or keep it low just to see if I like it . I stopped smoking a year ago , aged 47 , weight. 14.5 stone. As u can see my ultimate aim is to lose weight and get fit again, any help would be much appreciated thanks all.

Comments

• NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Im in a similar situation as you, I bought a Claud butler road bike last year to get into cycling. I am of course enjoying and looking to get a new bike on the cycle to work scheme next month. I think you wouldnt go wrong with getting a new bike, but I would recommend getting one from a popular manufacteur incase you deciede not to cycle anymore. That way the second hand value you will be much better than our Claud Butler bikes we have.

I would suggest spending about £600-£700 and see if you can get a last years £1000 bike for this price. That way you will be getting a decent bike that will hold its value fantasticly.

For example you can pick up a 2011 Defy 1 for £699 from Ashcycles I think, That was £999 last year and will have a good resale value.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Half the battle is finding a bike frame you like ..
    I tried a few bikes before settling on my current one. I had a budget in mind and tried a few bikes in that range - once I got on this one it just felt right - so that's the one I bought. It'll be different feel for you so difficult to specify a particular make/model.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    I have been offered a Claude butler Terino from we're I bought my hybrid from and he said he would give me £175 part x
    For my hybrid.Also my local cycle surgery has a cube peloton for £679.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    The Cube would be a better bike that the Claud Butler, if you can try and get a bike with Tiagra shifters.