Basic bike maintenance and tweeks

Thevicar1984
Thevicar1984 Posts: 10
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,
Thought I'd post again seeing as everybody was rather helpful on the last post.
Basically I have a few questions. Baring in mind i'm pretty new to all this.

1. How often should I clean my chain and what lubricant/oil would be best? Also whats the best way to do this?

2. I have a cheapy Raleigh Pursuit and it has the (I think) cantilever brakes. To be honest they are not all that clever. My budget is super tight and I have done well just to get the bike I did. I was wondering, like a car, if I got different brake pads, would this make a difference. Or are cantilever brakes pretty rubbish?? Just wondering if I can make what I got a little better without spending too much etc

Thanks all

Comments

• velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    I got a Barberi type chain cleaner that cleans, and lubricates the chain in situ. I use it about once a month, it keeps things sweet. It comes with degresser and oil as well. Cheap on ebay.

I know nothing about brakes, other than the discs on my mountain bike are awesome
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Chain cleaning is a dark art. You can buy chain cleaners but I prefer to have a quick link in the chain so I can remove it and clean it properly every now and then (whenever it looks filthy).

Cantilever brakes are quite bad but you can improve performance by making sure they are set up properly and you could invest in better pads if you think the ones you already have are really poor. I've tried a few different pads over the years, cheap and expensive ones and I always get these now, best value vs cost that are available.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ashima-v-brake- ... e-shoepad/
  • Quite like the look of them pads. They look twice the length of the ones I got. Simple science, I presume the longer the pad the more friction is put on the wheel, slowing you down a little quicker. I might get some. Should any pads fit on any bike?
    As for chain cleaning I will have a looksy on ebay. didnt even think about a de-greaser. Might be why my chain is black lol
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    for my chain - I just wipe it once a week to get all the black crud off it and oil it quickly with dry lube - then wipe again - takes about 2 minutes. Then once every two months or sooner if the chain is not going silver after the quick wipe I take the chain off (using quick link) and drop it in diesel for a proper clean.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Depending on weather the chain gets a clean ~1/10 rides. Run through the Park chain cleaner with a couple of changes of white spirit & a couple of hot water (to remove any WS from the chain), looks the same as after a solvent bath, so see no need to remove. Then the cassette & mechs with spray degreaser followed 5 mins later with soapy water, a long bristle brush & a rinse. Sponge the frame with the water also. Give a rub over with an old towel & leave for a while to dry. Lube.

N.B. longer pads won't result in more stopping power per se, the same cable tension will simply result in less pad pressure, outcomes equal. But less pressure will equal less wear, thus a large pad can be durable while using a high friction, but otherwise fast wearing, compound. But if the ones