Shimano shoe for UK size 9?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Folks,

Just wondering what Shimano shoe size is best for a UK size 9? I've Googled it but I keep seeing different sites saying different things. I'm going to try some on tomorrow in the shop but wanted to check on here first. Is this guide correct?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/29793/Shi ... -2011.html

From another recent thread I think I might have to size up anyway. Does the Shimano specific guide above already take into account sizing up as a 44 is listed as a UK 10 on many other sites.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

But it varies .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 101_North wrote:
    Folks,

Just wondering what Shimano shoe size is best for a UK size 9? I've Googled it but I keep seeing different sites saying different things. I'm going to try some on tomorrow in the shop but wanted to check on here first. Is this guide correct?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/29793/Shi ... -2011.html

From another recent thread I think I might have to size up anyway. Does the Shimano specific guide above already take into account sizing up as a 44 is listed as a UK 10 on many other sites.

Cheers

with Shimano generally accepted wisdom is to go up a size. However always best to try before buy.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    if your usually a size 9 get a size bigger with shimano ie get 44 , but again try if you can
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • nicklouse
    tarbot18 wrote:
    if your usually a size 9 get a size bigger with shimano ie get 44 , but again try if you can
    I would not and do not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 101_North
    Thanks for the replies. Here's what confuses me though. I'd usually (like Nick) have said a UK 9 was a 43 but even the Madison site has a 9 listed as a 44.

http://www.madison.co.uk/shoesize/

Think I'll have to get into a shop and try some on.

Cheers

• nicklouse
    Madison may have already done the next up....

What I do find is some of shimanos shoes can be a bit narrow. But it does depend on the shoe.
  • nicklouse
    I have some shimano shoes here.

43 eur 9 uk 27.2 cm.
  • 101_North
    Cheers. I think a visit to the shop is my best bet.

Thanks folks

• snapper52
    snapper52 Posts: 34
    I'm a UK size 9 and have bought 2 pairs of Shimano bike shoes, and on both occasions have bought size 44 which have fitted perfectly.
  • 101_North
    Size 44 ordered. Tried on 3 different Shimano shoes in a store. 2 MTb shoes (1 trainer style) and a road shoe for comparison. The 44 was a decent enough fit in all 3 - maybe just slightly tight on my right foot in the m087 style. The road shoe was labelled a 44/9 and the MTb shoes a 44/9.5. The road shoe was considerably bigger! The 45's were comfortable but maybe just too big.

Cheers for the help

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    nicklouse wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I would not and do not.

You would'nt but obviously everyone else does.......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • nicklouse
    tarbot18 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I would not and do not.

You would'nt but obviously everyone else does.......
    which just goes to show how important it is to try on things that you will be wearing as we do not come from the same mould.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The nearest conversion for eur 43 is a UK 9 but its not exact like for like.

Shimano use a narrow last comparable to a typical UK last. Some riders compensate for the lack of width by going up a size bigger. If you feel the need to do this then technically speaking this is not the correct thing to do as you are also making the shoe longer as well as wider.

but we are all different in shape and preference so best to try and get what feels right.

Its a bit like bike frame sizes, use it as rough guide on where to start but go by feel not the number on the box
  • In my experience best to call and ask the shop, as they get returns if not correct. If you are going to the shop then obviously try, but consider a size 10 or 44 (a size larger).
    LRRs
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm a pretty standard 9 in Nikes, Vans and DMs, and most other things... My everyday Shimano shoes are 43s, and fit very well. But slightly too well to fit in thicker socks- sealskinz or similiar. And definately too thin for double-bagging with sealskins and merinos. So for winter I got a set of 44s, which I find a wee bit loose unless they have a lot of sock in 'em.
    Uncompromising extremist