Garmin Elevation Issue

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
The elevation stats from my Garmin 305 are all over the shop. Apparently I climbed 32,000 feet on my 60 mile ride earlier :mrgreen: Anyone know what the problem is and how to rectify it? Thanks

Comments

• benhben
    benhben Posts: 71
    I heard the weather affects Garmin devices quite badly. If you set off in an area of high pressure when the sun was out and cycled into a low pressure weather front in the rain might have got confused?

My Edge 705 was showing negative elevation stats whenever I turned it on at home. Had to reset everything, leave it turned on until it got a decent fix on the altitude from the GPS location then save the location as my home address.
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    I'm using Edge 500, with the elevation consistently +100m to the real elevation.

End up using the Elevation Points feature to correct it. It's now within a more reasonable reading.

BTW, the Elevation Correction in Garmin Connect could result in exaggerated elevation gained (reported 1000m climb for a ride, but only 230m climb in reality).
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    bikingjohn wrote:
    BTW, the Elevation Correction in Garmin Connect could result in exaggerated elevation gained (reported 1000m climb for a ride, but only 230m climb in reality).

Hmmm, that's not good as I routinely use the elevation correction function, especially if there's been significant weather changes throughout my ride...
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    at the bottom of the ride data page, on the left, in the additional information box, there's two tabs "enable" and "disabled". if you click enable, it'll correct the altitude data.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    A quick question on a related issue.

I have an Edge 500 and have set an elevation point for my home (using O/S maps to determine the height), which it finds OK as I start up. I have a couple of regular rides with a cafe stop, and after the cafe stop, I am often 35 metres below sea level!

If I were to set a couple of known elvation points on my regular rides, will the the Edge "find" them when I ride through them and adjust the elevation accordingly? (I do use the correct facility when I upload activities to Garmin Connect but even then I am occassionally below sea level)
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Hi DaveM399, possibly best to just give it a go. Can't really do any harm, let us know if it helps...

Andy
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    My Garmin is very weather sensitive - I start and finish most rides at near enough sea level, but because the temperature in the early morning rises from around 28 deg to 35/36 degrees by 7 am it always reports my rides as being downhill
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2