Stile cop Tuesday evening 10th July

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited August 2012 in MTB rides
All being well, will be working closer to home on the tues so able to get to Stile cop for approx 6pm, plenty of time for a bit of midweek DH practise :D

I'm a relative beginner to DH, so will be sessioning the top half of the red run until I get confident enough to venture onto some of the bigger stuff.

Anyone else coming along??

Comments

• Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    I could be up for this - only been to Stile Cop once, for a Jumps & Drops course where we spent most of our time on the Red Run.
    I'll be working in our Congleton office that day, so should be able to get there by 6pm - meet by the bike stands at the top of the red run?
  • DodgeT
    Yeah, that sounds fine. I'll be on a red n black Enduro, with quite a bit of padding on and 661 FF :)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Hopefully yes from me, if I pass my exams it's a definite. If I fail I have to rearrange my placement to make room for resits so I doubt I'll be around, I'll know for sure next week... but most likely yes.
  • DodgeT
    Good luck and hopefully see you there :)
  • Proutster
    I too will be padded up to the eyeballs and wearing a 661 FF :D

I'll be on my snot-green Specialized SX Trail.....
  • angry_bird
    Proutster wrote:
    I too will be padded up to the eyeballs and wearing a 661 FF :D

+1

Although I'll be the knob on a hardtail :lol:
  • Proutster
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Although I'll be the knob on a hardtail :lol:

But, no doubt, much quicker than an old giffer like me :lol:
  • DodgeT
    I'll mainly be trying not to nose dive off the drops, need to go faster and not brake :)

Somebody perhaps should bring a camera, could be a good earner :grin:
  • angry_bird
    Good news, exams have been passed so I'll see you up there.
  • Proutster
    Congrats AB!!

You've now earned it!!

I'll be there, see you all on Tuesday.
  • DodgeT
    Nice one, congrats ! :)

Long range says showers, not as it matters for cop. Shall try to get a good going over on the bike done at the weekend, ready for some abuse on tues :lol:
  • Proutster
    We all still on for this?

The weather doesn't look too good:

weather

But I'll be there - just need the rain to hold-off tonight so that I can give the Snot-green beast a wash and lube. Oh and also to take the Wetscream off the front, won't be needing that at Cannock!!
  • DodgeT
    Still planning on it. Was looking at bbc site too, has it down for heavy rain just as we're there..... As long as it aint stupid / thunderstorms etc (which is planned for where I am on wednesday), i'll be there :)

Wetscreams, sx trail... guess you've done this before?
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:
    Wetscreams, sx trail... guess you've done this before?

Oh no, just a classic example of "All the gear but no idea" :D

Not ridden the Wetscream properly yet, put it on for a dig & ride day up at Macclesfield Forest DH but all we did was dig!! It was raining too much for me to ride, even with the massive spikey thing that is a wetscream.
  • DodgeT
    Aaahh, were you involved in the creation of that stupidly big drop in right at the very top?? Saw it on saturday, it's big :)
    (pics are in "your pics" bit.. if you haven't..)
  • Proutster
    No, we were digging down at the bottom of the track a week ago on Saturday. Sorted out a lot of drainage, put some new berms in and built up the bottom doubles.

That drop-off at the top is mental isn't it - no way I'd do that. Another issue is when I last looked it didn't go anywhere :?

Did you pass by when you were doing your 3-shires route?
  • angry_bird
    I'll still be heading up there, it's only a bit of water, hopefully the forecast will be wrong too, initally they were forecasting rain around here late this morning and early afternoon too and it's not materialised :roll:
  • DodgeT
    Weathers looking better already :)

Yeah proutster, we did the macc forest loop after we'd done 3 shires, was a good day.

Car is all packed. Change of work plans so I'll be coming down from north manchester, so hopefully there before 6, assuming the m6 is kind to me. If I don't see you at the car park, will see you both at the trails.
  • Proutster
    Great fun tonight, good to meet you Rich, Rog & Mike :D

Rich, it looks like we did 7 runs on the Red + the one on the Ridge Line - Strava

Hope you're not injured Rich - sorry I steamed on through and didn't check you were OK, I didn't know you'd gone down :oops:

Also hope your mate's OK, Rog.

We'll have to do it again, perhaps I'll be brave enough to try the Black the next time....

Rog - just sent a PM with The Bike School's details.
  • angry_bird
    Proutster wrote:
    Great fun tonight, good to meet you Rich, Rog & Mike :D

Rich, it looks like we did 7 runs on the Red + the one on the Ridge Line - Strava

Hope you're not injured Rich - sorry I steamed on through and didn't check you were OK, I didn't know you'd gone down :oops:

Also hope your mate's OK, Rog.

We'll have to do it again, perhaps I'll be brave enough to try the Black the next time....

Rog - just sent a PM with The Bike School's details.

Cheers Mark, nice to meet you all, hope your mates alright Rog.

8 runs then, that's alright, they were definitiely getting better towards the end too. Don't worry about it, I'm fine really, bit sore this morning but like I said yesterday the pads did their jobs mostly. Forgotten how much it tires you out though, I was kackered last night.

Definitely need to do it again.
  • DodgeT
    As said, was a good night, good to put some faces to names and meet you both too :)
    I reckon he'll be a bit sore today, but he'll be alright :mrgreen: What did you do then Rich?
    Cheers for the go on the big'un Mark :wink:
    Got the link ta, will hopefully get on one of them, perhaps have to try for the sat one as sat's are easier for me.
    Weather turned out fine in the end, unlike today.....

Give us a shout when your going again guys !

Off to shop for some pyjamas ....
  • angry_bird
    I managed to land one of those drops in the more sandy crap at the edge of the trail... ended in the bike wanting to stop and me trying to force it forwards before finally getting thrown off :lol: Wasn't a massively bad crash but I like to think it would have looked impressive.

Landed on my elbow and back mostly so the padding helped there but I bumped my hip too which is being nice and sore this morning :roll:
  • DodgeT
    More of a comedy bucking bronco type of affair was it? :)
  • angry_bird
    Yup, that sums it up nicely :lol:
  • DodgeT
    My favourite type. I did similar on a big drop on my local playground.. got down the drop, then the forks decided to act like a space hopper and threw me off about 5yds on :) This was on my canal path / hack bike with amazing suntour bouncy bits at the front :lol: (bad workman and tools etc...)
  • Hi guys I've never been to Stile Cop before and was wondering how the DH tracks run in the wet? I might be heading that way this weekend and obviously it's rubbish weather right now! Thanks.
  • DodgeT
    Can only vouch for the red run, but that was fine on tuesday. Top half is hardpack/gravel so doesn't get affected by the rain. Bottom half had a couple of puddles. Saying that, didn't go right to the bottom.
  • Proutster
    The bike's all sorted now, so I'll definitely be there on Tuesday evening - should get there at about 6-6:15pm.

Might be brave enough to try the black run or the new line this time......
  • DodgeT
    Proutster wrote:
    The bike's all sorted now, so I'll definitely be there on Tuesday evening - should get there at about 6-6:15pm.

Might be brave enough to try the black run or the new line this time......

Cool, well as long as I can get my car back to being a turbo diesel as opposed to just a diesel by then, I'll be there too.

Take it the chainring bolts were right?
  • Proutster
    Yes, ta - they were the perfect size.

Hope you get your car sorted & see you on Tues.