Instead of Electrolyte tablets

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
is there anything else apart from the nuun tablets or zero5 tablets that one can take that would still give you the same energy as taking those tablets? the idea me of commuting to work was to save money and i didnt want to spend money on these tablets, unless they're an absoute must for a commute of 32 miles round trip. i heard orange juice is just a good, but are there any potions you guys have come up with at home without the need of spending any money on stuff like the nuun tablets.

thanks for any advice.

azhar :)

Comments

• Food.
  • Azhar
    Food.

thanks for your input. but not very helpful.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Both the Nuun and High 5 tablets are virtually 0 calories, so dont really give you energy
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • ThanksBye is right- most Nuun and High5 products aren't energy drinks, they just replace salts that you lose through sweating.

If you want calories on the bike, but don't want to eat food nor pay for energy drinks, a mix of half coke (fat coke, obviously) and half water is pretty good. Easy enough to drink on the go, but contains a good amount of sugar (i.e. energy).
  • Azhar wrote:
    Food.

thanks for your input. but not very helpful.
    Seriously the "zero" is zero energy. I might use these on a long ride on a hot day (e.g. a 50 or 100 mile TT - with some energy products) but on a 32 mile ride? They're basically flavouring and a little salt.

Dilute orange juice with a little salt would be more effective and cheaper.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you eat and drink properly before you ride you'll take enough minerals and water on to manage a 16 mile ride. Electrolytic drinks are only really useful on long rides where you don't intend to stop for food and drink.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mazule
    mazule Posts: 54
    St Mark's Solution is almost as cheap as water and is about the best thing for rehydration. Google it for the recipe.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Seriously, Food is the correct answer.
    And Drink.
    If you want a cheap, easy isotonic, use 50% apple juice.
    The World Health Organisation advise an Oral Rehydration Salt mix which is basically, sugar, salt and water.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Eat before cycling or take some flapjacks or fruit with you. Energy drinks have there place but I wouldn't have them everyday - my stomach wouldn't like it.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Same commute distance as me.

I agree that you shouldn’t need anything "special" (and expensive) for a ride of that distance. A 750ml bottle of H2O should be more than enough to keep you hydrated on even the hottest of days in this country (particularly if, like most people, you commute at the beginning/end of the day when it’s a bit cooler anyway).

A normal balanced/healthy diet should give you enough energy although a banana or something might help before you head home.
  • Azhar
    Godders1 wrote:
    Same commute distance as me.

I agree that you shouldn’t need anything "special" (and expensive) for a ride of that distance. A 750ml bottle of H2O should be more than enough to keep you hydrated on even the hottest of days in this country (particularly if, like most people, you commute at the beginning/end of the day when it’s a bit cooler anyway).

A normal balanced/healthy diet should give you enough energy although a banana or something might help before you head home.

its just reading the magazines and differnt websites make it sound like electrolyte tablets are a must so i just wanted to know if there was a recipe anyone stuck by to make their own drink that is just as good as having the electrolyte tablets. thanks for your advice. i had some bananas today and felt a lot better cycling today. tackled a lot of hills today that absolutely knackered me out. hard work,. (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1362238). and i have a couple of bottles iof water with me everytime so i suppose thats best for now :)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well, I used to use this mixture, but it tastes sufficiently awful that I soon managed to justify spending money on the likes of Nuun. I don't use anything for commuting though, even if I take the long way home.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Erm, for a 16 mile commute water will do unless it's properly alpine! It's also the cheapest solution, win win. Stuff a Mars bar somewhere for emergency use.
  • Water.. I've only been a commuter for three months after a break of about 5yrs.. The thing that always strikes me is that for some people it is more about all the other stuff than actually manning up, getting on your bike and pedalling.. If it becomes too much stop and have a rest for a couple of mins - if your mouth is dry have a drink of water.. Don't worry about taking supplements :-)
    There's a guy at work that spent a fortune on cycle to work.. has all the gear and no idea - every morning I see him getting scalped by a big lad on a BSO in rigger boots.. I get a great view because it's generally just after he's scalped me.. I guess what I'm saying is that as far as I'm concerned everything like supplements comes way down the list of things that make a difference.
  • In fact............. What if rigger boots man is on supplements............. quick - get me some!!!!!
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    oxoman wrote:
    I use orange squash with a pinch of salt in to replace those lost and a banana to eat on anything over 30 miles on road or 20 miles off road when on MTB etc.

Yeah what oxoman said, electrolyt tablets etc are fine if you've got the cash to spend.

I've also done the half OJ/Apple Juice half water thing, works well.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)