Rear Derailleur Issue

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hello,

I've only ever done very basic maintenance (IE Clean/break pad changing) however after spending a fortune makinga rip off mechanic do it at my local shop, I want to start doing more myself.

Halfway through a ride yesterday, I could no longer change gear - I could only go from my top cassette down 3, (and back up)... I immediately thought it was an issue where I'd just need to retune it, but then I took a look under the hood of my gear lever and I noticed the rear gear cable was fraying a bit. (Obviously this means an instant change is needed) but, do you also think this is the reason as for why I can't change down any further, as it can't get enough tension?

I would've attempted to change it already had I had spare bar tape handy.

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fried cables will stop the mech moving as the cable can not move.

Time for new cables inner and outer and tape.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    make sure you use some decent cable cutters to cut the cable and outers or you will ruin your new new cables. Don't use normal pliers to cut them.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • islwyn
    nicklouse wrote:
    inner and outer.

What do you mean inner & outer?

KentPhil wrote:
    Don't use normal pliers to cut them

Thank you!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    outer is the outer cable housing, some come with a separate liner that goes inside, but usually it's all in one, inner is the cable

note that brake outer and gear outer may look the same, but they are not, make sure you use the correct one

if you've not done it before, simplest way is buy a set containing all the bits, for instance...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-kble-s ... cable-set/

more on the subject here...

http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • islwyn
    I've bought a gear cable, I was on the understanding this could be fed through my jagwire?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    yes certainly, if the current outer is ok, no issues just changing the cable
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • islwyn
    So it's frayed inside the lever, meaning I can't change to my largest gear meaning I can't make the nip visible to pull out of the level, meaning this is a bloody nightmare as it's frayed inside the level!

Ideally I don't want to take it apart or buy a new lever, anyone had this before and got a work around?
  • islwyn
    Finally got the nipple lined up, but due to having few strands left on the cable, I can't push the nipple out!