Upgrade helmet needed.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi peeps any suggestions on a good helmet got around £100 pound to spend.

Comments

• StuBradley
    StuBradley Posts: 46
    I have just listed a lazer genesis rd on the forum http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12862078&p=17697004#p17697004 its an excellent helmet, check out the info for the helmet at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lazer-genesis-road-race-helmet/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Lazer-Lazer_Genesis_Road_Race_Helmet-White%2fRed

Let me know what you think, I can send it out to you tomorrow if you want it.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2009
    Giant Defy 2010
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kask Mojito is hard to beat - £100, very comfortable and seriously light - lighter than Kasks top of the range lid that's nearly twice the price. Wiggins and Cavendish are wearing them this year too so you'll go much faster wearing one!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-mojito-road-helmet-2012/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Kask-Kask_Mojito_Road_Helmet_-_2012-Black

Obviously, any recommendation though is dependant on whether it fits and I wouldn't buy any lid without trying it first. So maybe best approach is to see what you can find locally and then report back.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Rolf F wrote:
    Obviously, any recommendation though is dependant on whether it fits and I wouldn't buy any lid without trying it first. So maybe best approach is to see what you can find locally and then report back.

Very true. Plenty of decent road lids for that price band. Normally you will get lots of posts for the lids people own, however it must fit your shape head so get that tried in a shop if you can.
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Someone I know is selling this:

Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmet (Cost £170 New!)

Black

Medium

Used but never bumped or dropped just one of about 3 spares I have!

The lightest out there, you forget youre wearing it, its as worn by the Pro's on the Tour Etc

£80

I have some photo's too if you wanted them.
  • Redsteveb
    Photo of the helmet he's selling. Have a few more if required:

P1030530.jpg
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    This helmet is very good and i would recommend it :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/met-estro-road-helmet-2012/
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Just go to your lbs and try some helmets really.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You have to try some - different makes/models fit different head types. Generally, if you find a brand that's comfortable, then most of their models in that size will fit.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Redsteveb wrote:

Black

Medium

The lightest out there, you forget youre wearing it, its as worn by the Pro's on the Tour Etc

£80

I have this helmet - it is fantastic and light!
  • You really have to go and try them on as others have said. I don;t like MET helmets as the padding is insufficient for me. I don't like Giro and spesh as you look like a mushroom. 2 I have had and are currently using which I have found to be great quality are LAS Squalo and Rudy Project Sterling. The LAS was also worn during a rather nasty car v bike incident and saved my head from serious damage.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Redsteveb wrote:

Black

Medium

£80

I have this helmet - it is fantastic and light!

Me too. I love it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Another vote for the mojito. I've seen it for £90 this week.
    My giro wearing mate is impressed by the kasks low weight.
  • The kask Helmets are really comfortable, I tried loads prior to purchasing the mojito and glad I did its super light weight
    And you don't really notice its there and the leather chin strap is a good feature too , deffo gets my vote :)
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Mojito also gets my vote. Got one a couple of months ago. V light and v comfortable
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Another +1 for the Mojito.
  • I just bought a Kask K10 and have been pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable it is than my previous Giro Monza - obviously down to shape of my head so (as has been said a few times above) go try some on. Better designed straps etc too. The Mojito was a good fit as well but I got a better deal on the K10.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    You really have to go and try them on as others have said. I don;t like MET helmets as the padding is insufficient for me. I don't like Giro and spesh as you look like a mushroom. 2 I have had and are currently using which I have found to be great quality are LAS Squalo and Rudy Project Sterling. The LAS was also worn during a rather nasty car v bike incident and saved my head from serious damage.

+1 for the Rudy Project Sterling.
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    Personally I don't think that you'll get a better deal than this.....http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868 8)
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    cougie wrote:
    Another vote for the mojito. I've seen it for £90 this week.
    My giro wearing mate is impressed by the kasks low weight.

It does not matter low light a helmet is if it does not fit properly. There is only one answer to the OP's question, and that is to go to a shop and try on a variety of helmets to see which one fits, and looks OK for the shape of your head/face.

All the main manufacturers have a wide range from about £20 -£175, and generally as with all cycling equipment there is the law of diminishing returns, so a helmet in the £50-100 bracket probably offers the best price/performance ratio.

As ever people quote that because a pro-cyclist wears something it is good. Firstly, they are paid to wear it, when they move teams they move sponsors. Secondly just because something is suitable for a Pro it probably is not suitable for us. We live in England FFS, 6 months of the year my Giro Atmos is too ventilated that I have to put a liner hat under it!...I actually have a £20 large bell helmet as well as the Atmos for really cold days, so I can put a big woolly hat under it!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The problem with the going-to-a-shop-and-trying-some-on thing is that very few stores have a terribly large range. Even the big chains only carry so many makes.

My advice would be to read the reviews, decide what you like the look of (aesthetics is important to many of us) and shop at a store with a great returns policy (such as Wiggle). That's what I did and I ended up with a Las Victory, which I am very pleased with.
  • rolf_f
    The problem with the going-to-a-shop-and-trying-some-on thing is that very few stores have a terribly large range. Even the big chains only carry so many makes.

My advice would be to read the reviews, decide what you like the look of (aesthetics is important to many of us) and shop at a store with a great returns policy (such as Wiggle). That's what I did and I ended up with a Las Victory, which I am very pleased with.

A dubious idea. You were lucky. I spent a long time at LBS's and the only lids that fitted well (until I found a Kask supplier) were the Giro Ionos and Catlike Whisper. Other Giros were a hopeless fit for me. The odds of finding a helmet that fits by random ordering are very much against you. To be fair, some people might fit more helmets and having hair will help (I don't) but ordering based on looks for something like a helmet is very risky - even if the helmet looks good and fits well, it might not look good on you!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Rolf F wrote:

A dubious idea. You were lucky. I spent a long time at LBS's and the only lids that fitted well (until I found a Kask supplier) were the Giro Ionos and Catlike Whisper. Other Giros were a hopeless fit for me. The odds of finding a helmet that fits by random ordering are very much against you. To be fair, some people might fit more helmets and having hair will help (I don't) but ordering based on looks for something like a helmet is very risky - even if the helmet looks good and fits well, it might not look good on you!

I suppose I did have previous experience to go on too, but I had no idea helmets were so head specific, what with their countless adjusting options. I've twice had to return helmets, but for their looks rather than their fit and on both occasions the merchants were only too happy to accommodate me. I would have tried before buying had I been able to, but I could not find a shop dealing in Las or BBB, the two helmets I was interested in. Thankfully it all worked fine.
  • rolf_f
    I didn't even get consistency within brand. My old lid is a Giro Havoc which fits fine, the Ionos was really comfy, the Atmos not brilliant and the Prolight worse still!

The adjustments don't tend to make up for the basic shape of the lid or were the internal structure touches your skull which can be very apparent if you have more use for furniture polish up their than hairspray!
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787

If you go to a decent sized shop they will usually stock 2-3 brands. As I said each of those brands will have multiple models all with a slightly different fit, and several different price points.

Basically the higher the price the better ventilated you get. Weight differences are marginal, between the brands...and who cares if one helmet is 250g and another is 270g?

At the end of the day its a helmet, you hope you never need it. Go to a shop with a budget, buy a decent helmet that fits and looks OK and forget about it for 5 years.
  • Redsteveb
    Has the OP commented on any of these recommendation?