Should my front / middle gear have a warped section?

That Happy Cat
That Happy Cat Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

I've just bought my first bike in years after a bad accident back in the day. This morning, with the new baby out for the day, I finally got a chance to take it out. I am very much new to "proper" biking so have no real skills or concept of how things should be done. (also, no energy!)

So that leads me to my first question. I was having trouble shifting gears with it locking up or at least making a terrible racket. I'm now concerned I've done some damage, through bad chainlines, to my front gear cassette.

So to return to my post title, should the middle gear of the front set have a kink/ warp in it? It seems quite deliberate, and I imagine it's hardto destroy a gear that easily, but I WAS having issues...

I'm riding a jarrah 4 and have uploaded a photo here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2mfzybshmis9g9/photo.JPGo

Thanks for the help. If anyone sees someone looking wildly out of control or lost around the Surrey Downs in Guildford... That's me.

(EDIT) Photo taken with iPad and too large to uplod, so uploaded it to my dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2mfzybshmis9g9/photo.JPG

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You'll need to post a pic so we can see what you mean. Many cogs are profiled to aid shifting.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they often look warped from the top as they have pressed section inside the teeth.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've added a photo of the gears to my Dropbox... I think you guys are right and I imagine it's jsut my bad shifting that's the issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2mfzybshmis9g9/photo.JPG
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is more than I'd expect though. Looks bent towards the inner ring.
  • nicklouse
    agreed. but if it is like that repeated around the ring it would be intentional.

to me it looks damaged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic wrote:
    It is more than I'd expect though. Looks bent towards the inner ring.
    nicklouse wrote:
    agreed. but if it is like that repeated around the ring it would be intentional.

That's what i was concerned about. I just spoke to Evans Guildford and their mechanic said that there should be raised elements to the gear set to aid shifting.

I think I'll have to give it a try a little more and practice better shifting to see if it was me that was causing the issue and not the gears.
  • nicklouse
    no, is it repeated around the ring? I suspect it is not.

get it replaced.

did the mechanic actually see it?
  • No, they have not. In fact, i've just taken it up the road and back and it's that section that is causing the issue. The warp is knocking the chain right of the gear. Hopefully that's something I can get replaced under the warranty...

THanks for the advice guys. Looks like I joined a good forum :)