...daily mail, cycle to work scheme.

redderekthelampshade
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cheme.html

There's always someone willing to try it on isn't there!.

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I can't click on the link. With the new cookies rules, I really don't want to share the fact I've clicked on the Daily Mail site.

I'd be excommunicated from Gary Glitter fan club, Donkey fondlers weekly AND the gusset sniffers gazette. :)
  • just pretend for one moment that you did click on it - what do you reckon to the story..
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    I see it didnt take long for a communtater to slip in a comment about cyclists not paying for the roads.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Only in Ireland can you get a lawnmower shop that sells bikes, or maybe a bike shop that sells lawnmowers?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I wonder how many people will be attempting tomorrows commute on their lawn mower..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Good analysis. They quote 33% as dodgy but, infact, they just keep contacting shops until they succesfully get an abuse on the 10th hit (so that's actually 10% rather than 33%). That's about as statistically incompetent an approach as they could achieve. The result means nothing at all.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Rolf F wrote:
    Good analysis. They quote 33% as dodgy but, infact, they just keep contacting shops until they succesfully get an abuse on the 10th hit (so that's actually 10% rather than 33%). That's about as statistically incompetent an approach as they could achieve. The result means nothing at all.
    "As many as 3 in 10"... that's, er, 30%.

It would be wrong of me to point out that the "scam" is operating in Ireland. I wonder if one can buy caravans in the same way?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I thought shop had to be registered on the cycle to work scheme (in fact they do) - I am not overly sure I have seen any bike shop selling lawnmowers and bouncy castles - it is one thing to get a receipt written out differently - it is another thing to send it to the tax man for the scheme.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

It would be wrong of me to point out that the "scam" is operating in Ireland. I wonder if one can buy caravans in the same way?
    Would you want a caravan that cost less than a grand?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    bails87 wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Would you want a caravan that cost less than a grand?!
    Does it come with a dag?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I thought shop had to be registered on the cycle to work scheme (in fact they do)

Nope. Some of the commercial operators like Cyclescheme use a voucher system, and shops need to register with that operator in order to be able to redeem the vouchers, but the cycle to work tax break requires no registration from either shops or employers.
    I am not overly sure I have seen any bike shop selling lawnmowers and bouncy castles - it is one thing to get a receipt written out differently - it is another thing to send it to the tax man for the scheme.

Quite - claiming tax relief on something which doesn't qualify for that relief is just like any other kind of tax evasion.